cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Cinema and the BT Vision Box

I am new to BT Vision and waiting for the BT Vision equipment to arrive and get set up.My question is can you connect a Home Cinema System to the BT Vision box that comes with the Top range package ( the Ultra HD package ).Also I was with BT Vision when it first came out but gave up with it because I had so many problems with the picturs freezing and it kept re booting in the middle of a programe.I take it that problem must of been sorted by now I HOPE! Are there any problems with BT Vision that I should be aware of?

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Cinema and the BT Vision Box

BT Vision is the name for the legacy system BT run, the new service is called BTTV. The ultra box that comes with the top package is way beyond the vision system and although not perfect (they are about to upgrade the whole ui to a newer 'next gen' version - this will have a few teething issues but will eventually be an even better system) it is pretty good.

As for connecting it to a home cinema system it depends what you mean. The box has an optical output that can be connected to give full surround on any channel that provides it. It also works even better through HDMI BUT because this is an ultra hd box it does need a HDCP2.2 compliant receiver to accept it in uhd mode.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

I have no stuttering or other issues you mention from your previous experiences. 52mb download speed on my line.

The new UHD box is very fast and responsive and for me, just works. OK with the AV amp and I did not pay silly money for the HDMI leads though I think I have a toslink to the AV amp as a backup (main fed to TV then to amp as it is an old amp).

Pity UHD content is thin on the ground inside the BT bubble.  Remember that with Netflix, you need the top priced deal to see the 4K, check the pricing details (if you have Netflix). BT Sport Football and Rugby is superb though, in 4K/UHD.

Audio. On checking I seem to be having an issue with 5.1? But I have re wired with a new 4k player so probably mucked something up at the back, seems my spare toslink input is AWOL.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 6

Hi there,

The bttv box will work with 5.1 but i have had significant issues with volume going up n down quite stealthfully...

This is a problem which BT will wash their hands of over a period of time..

Be prepared for disappointment  ...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 6

You can connect the box using either HDMI optical. Most of catch up tv player and TV programmes do not have surround sound but this has nothing to do with BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 6

I've recently purchased a Denon 4300 AVR (supports HDCP2.2). When trying to run BTTV through the AVR to a 1080P HD TV, I don't get a picture, but instead receive an error message stating I'm unable to watch TV as the TV (obviously) doesn't support HDCP2.2. When plugged directly into the TV all works fine.

I see a few cases of this on the web, but no real useful solutions. I've tried a spliiter inbetween the box and the AVR which resolves the no picture issue but not audio. Anyone come across this before? 

At the moment I see I have 3 options - 1) run the BTTV through the TV and output audio through ARC to the AVR, which I'd prefer not to do, 2) downgrade the BT Box to an non UHD box or 3) buy a 4k TV, which the missus is having none of.

If 2) I guess I can buy any Youview box? and if so, will I still get access to the non Freeview BT channels?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

0 Ratings