Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
downtown273
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Home Data Setup

Hi all, 

My house is being built and the builder has asked me what specification do I want for data.

What I want to achieve is:

- Patch panel in Studio

- Cat6a cabling around the house to each room

The builder said the BT Master (white little box?) needs to be in the Living room.

The question is, how do I connect the BT Master to the patch panel? 

I read online that the BT router needs to be directly connected to the BT master. This is OK, I have the space in the living room where I can put it, but then I want to send the signal to the studio (to the patch panel) where it will be re-distributed across the house in a network created by AirPort Expresses (probably need 2/3 of them). 

The issue I have is, I want one of the AirPort Express to be in the living room (to create one big network in the house). So the Cat6a will already be used by the "input" from the BT router. I could add another Cat6 if needed, but sounds like a bit of an overkill.

Or is it even possible (or would it be easier) to get 2x BT Master boxes (one in the living room, one in the studio)?

I'm a bit stuck with this.. Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home Data Setup

The hub has 4 Ethernet ports, just plug the AE in the living room into another LAN port on the hub. Simples!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 12

Unless you have an Ethernet switch somewhere, the cables can only be used to extend a LAN port from the hub from one room to another.

0 Ratings
downtown273
Beginner
Message 4 of 12

What I have is a RJ45 network patch panel.

The reason why I hadn't considered connecting the AE to the Hub is because I want the AE in the main network that I will create in the patch panel (if that makes sense?).

Would having 2 BT Masters solve my issue?

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to achieve, the patch panel is just a means of connecting wires together you can't create a network with it.

0 Ratings
downtown273
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

My idea was:

BT Master > BT Hub (wifi off) > Patch Panel > Range of AE's on their own network

If I take your suggestion above, I will have an AE connected to the BT Hub, whereas all the other ones will be connected to the Patch Panel. 

Does that make sense?

Not sure if having an AE connected to the BT Hub, while the rest of AE's are connected to the patch panel, would give me any issue at the time of creating one single network across the house?

Thanks for all your help and patience!

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

It doesn't work like that, the patch panel is not a switch it just connects the rooms to a single point. With your method, all you would have is a single Ethernet port extended from the hub to the patch panel which you could then connect to a single AE. The other ports in the patch panel would have no connectivity.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

You could do something like this, but it won't give you an AE at the master socket.

IMG_20160804_0003.jpg

0 Ratings
downtown273
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Thanks for that, I think I understand now!

Would it help to have a switch between the inbound Ethernet from the Hub and the Patch Panel? (see the image attached)

Photo Aug 04, 4 51 11 PM.jpg

Or is it too over-complicated?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Almost, the AE connected to the patch panel would in reality be connected directly to one of the ports on the switch. Otherwise, spot on.

0 Ratings