cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub 2.0 keeps restarting every 10 / 15 minutes, sometimes doesnt recover at all

Hi we've been having problems for a while with our home hub 2.0 we didnt get it at the last house we lived with a similar setup (electrical gadgets installed etc).

So I read a couple of posts and ran the tests with the following results.

Setup for tests: Reset home hub 2.0 router and turned on again, router connected to master socket in the house with wires supplied by BT, all other points have filters, pc connected to router via network cable supplied by BT, wireless turned off, antivirus and firewall turned off, no other activiy on line apart from pc testing:

http://speedtester.bt.com/

Lite Tests:
Download : 5.76
Upload 0.88
Ping latency:  27.38

Further Tests:
Download speed achieved 5.76 (ip profile for line 5.87)
Upload speed achieved 0.88

Test for premium services (ran just because I thought Id see what the tests came back with), when the router reset (it had been less than 10 minutes since I had reset the router after the last fall out).

Are there any other tests I can run before reporting this and requesting a replacement home hub 2.0?

Appreciate any thoughts.

K

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub 2.0 keeps restarting every 10 / 15 minutes, sometimes doesnt recover at all

There are known issues with the home hub 2.

Reported problems with the Home Hub 2.0

So it would be best to request a replacement, provided you do not use Broadband Talk.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Re: Home Hub 2.0 keeps restarting every 10 / 15 minutes, sometimes doesnt recover at all

Hi many thanks for your super speedy reply! God I wish open source programming forum goers were as speedy 🙂

I was wondering what is a "plug top power unit" ?

From: hxxp://forumhelp.dyndns.info/hardware/hh2/hh2_issues.hxxl

K

Random rebooting without any Internet activity.

This shows in the event log as a kernel warm restart, or sometimes a complete cold restart.

The culprit seems to be the plug top power unit which seems to be generating a poor quality
voltage supply, and introducing electrical "noise" into the home hub itself.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

the hubs provided power supply is the most likely the suspect
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

Superb thank you John and Keith, very much appreciated. Will order a replacement power supply right away.

Thank you

K
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

@k8fisher wrote:
Superb thank you John and Keith, very much appreciated. Will order a replacement power supply right away.

Thank you

K

It may not be the power supply, but if you can get one cheaply enough, then its worth trying it.

Be aware, that there are two versions of the HH2, with different supply voltages.

0 Ratings