cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sobryma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 17

Home Hub 2.0 - which phones will actually work with it......

Go to solution

Recently moved back to BT for internet and phone, apart from initial setup all has gone well, except for one issue.

When we plug our phone into the Hub the incoming calls just suffer from interference (to the extent that someone phoning cannot hear us). 

Our phones are Southwestern Bell S2300, I e-mailed BT and someone phoned me and told me they are not compatible, but apart from saying what to look out for didn't really say what phones are compatible. I don't want to go spend up to ~£100 on a set to find they won't work.

I have had a look around BT's webpages (who on earth designed them?) and there is a list of tested phones but its way out of date. The only thing I gleaned was avoid Panasonic.

What phones have people found work ok with the Hub?

Thanks

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
Sobryma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 17

Re: Home Hub 2.0 - which phones will actually work with it......

Go to solution

Forgot to mention aim is to use the Broadband Talk option

0 Ratings
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

Not sure why you plugged it in to the hub  (or indeed how unless you plugged the base in to the hub which you should not ) it is a dect phone and the hand set  or sets should be associated with the hub phone wifi

You may have to dissociate it from your existing base first

I mean just the hand set of course

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

edit. Refer to other members posts.

If you don't use a BT hub phone, then you'll need to connect the other brand's base station to the hub's rear telephone connection. This applies to corded or cordeless.

Connecting a normal phone - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9917/kw/phone%20hub/c/345,354,382

BT Broadband Talk requires a touchtone phone. All standard touchtone corded phones and the majority of cordless and digital cordless touchtone handsets work with BT Broadband Talk. Old pulse dial telephones will not work with Broadband Talk.

Is this the list you are refering to? - http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7877

If so, I can only suggest that try to purchase a phone from the list or list the phone(s) you're interested in using. Maybe someone will be able to advise if they too have this brand of phone working with a hub.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
Highlighted
hamish72
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

I  simply associated the dect handsets to the hub all work with no question of incompatibilities or interference as far as I can see broadband talk is of course activated

So why is it needed to connect the other base to the hub, any advantage in doing so ?

If any post helps tick the star box on the left
Just cause Im paranoid dont mean they are not out to get me

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

To use BBTalk, a phone needs to be connected to the home hub so that it uses your BB connection to make calls over the Internet - known as VOIP

This connection is either made by registering a BT Hub phone to the home hub or by connecting another compatible phone.

If you have a corded or cordless phone and you connect it via a filter to a phone socket, it's a 'normal' phone - no BBTalk

edit.

An advantage to connecting a base station to the hub, is that it then becomes a VOIP phone & a 'normal' phone, so no need for multiple phonesSmiley Wink.

0 Ratings
Sobryma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

Yes that is the listing of phones, most have been discontinued though for example:

http://www.home-phones.co.uk/home-phones/siemens-gigaset-c460ip-dect-voip--phone/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-VOIP321-Compatible-Cordless-Telephone/dp/B000GRUNEU

I think it just an old listing that hasn't been updated - just wondered if anyone has phones working into the Hub so I can see current options

0 Ratings
Sobryma
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution

Just spotted Voip telephone into Amazon produces a list (better than Google) - so that will give me a start - I think Amazon accept returns

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

@Sobryma wrote:snip

I think it just an old listing that hasn't been updated

Maybe a Forum Mod will see this thread, maybe even have a look at the listed phones and maybe pass it on to see if it can be updated?

What ever phone you select, you'll need to listen out for interference on the handset when it's in use and keep an eye out to see if any wireless devices start to lose their connection to the hubSmiley Indifferent

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

Sobryma wrote

"Just spotted Voip telephone into Amazon produces a list (better than Google) - so that will give me a start - I think Amazon accept returns"

I think you may be getting confused. A Voip phone is designed to plug into an Ethernet connection and talk to other Voip phones.

The hub already handles the Voip part of things, and links it with a DECT base station which is contained within the hub.

Any DECT compatible phone can connect to this base station, including the BT hub phones.

The hub also provides an normal phone access to the Voip interface, via the phone socket at the back.

You can plug in any normal phone into this socket, or another DECT base station, however another base station could suffer interference from the one built into the hub. There is no way to turn this off.

Tags (1)