cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Home Hub 2 Wireless connection issues

Due to a UTP port failure on my Home hub 1 I received a nice new home hub 2.

After carrying out a full install and copying the the settings from the old hub to the new one all looked ok. Wired connection to the internet was good , still showing 8Mb downstream.

The wireless how ever is another story.

My Macbook connects fine and instantly, my kids HPG62 laptop connects perfectly. The issue is the wifes Netbook (Samsung NC10) and my Netbook (Linux)Aspire one have major problems. On the old hub these were perfect as well.

Although they connect eventually the connection is very slow , with 40-50% packet loss when pinging the default gateway.

I have carried out he obvious like deleting and recreating the wireless association on each laptop.

There is no channel interference as the signal to noise ratio is very good (signal 74% noise 14%)

Thinking it may be a 802.11 issue I have set the hub to b/g from b/g/n and this makes no difference.

So has any one experienced this on their Hub 2 and is there a fix?

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 20

Re: Home Hub 2 Wireless connection issues

Shot in the dark my first option would be to see if there are any updated drivers for each machine, there was also a thread somewhere on here with suggestions of updating linux to the Ubuntu version. Linux on the Acer is specific I believe...Linpus??

Not helpful I'm afraid but its the first place I would start.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Yes I thought of that have updated them both to the latest driver with no affect. Both use the same wireless card vendor Atheros and are only 802.3.b/g no N unfortunately 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 20

Have you tried changing the wireless channel number....to say 11, most hubs will try automatic but you need to use 1, 6 or 11 as most hubs purchased seem to be set to 1 or 6, 11 might be the option.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Yes tried that even though there are no other wireless devices in range.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 20

Well just fired daughters Samsung N110 which uses Windows 7 Starter, that has an Atheros AR5007EG and I've not had any connection issues to the Hub....I would still point to the drivers as the problem rather than the Hub, unfortunately Atheros don't appear to supply drivers it's all OEM.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

did you install the BT cd that came with the hub?  if so I would unistall it and use it as a coaster/frisbee.  It can quite often cause wireless connection problems

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 20

I never used it.

But strangely I have solved the problem but don't understand why. I defaulted the hub to factory settings and it all worked. So I introduced my changes one by one.  

Admin PWD   OK

New WPA2 key OK

Changed DHCP settings  OK

Added phone setting  OK

Changed SSID    FAIL

It appears for some very strange reason when I change the SSID  from the normal BTHomeHun2XXXX to one I like the problem starts. even after retsets etc.

So why should the change in SSID affect the 802.3 b/g packet throughput?  

Answers on a postcard. 

I will bring the WiFi analyser back from work next week and trace the difference in the RF output in both settings as I am sure there is something fishy going on here. Maybe BT don't want you to change the SSID as they like the free advertising?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 9 of 20

Well chalk that up as a new one, must say I do have issues with Hub just locking up, no internet access, no wireless, no ethernet, and all the lights are on, soft reset sorts it out. But not being able to change your ssid is bizarre.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 20

False dawn. Day two and its started again. No changes made to the HUB and both netbooks fail to connect.

I am stumped.

I think I will consign this to the bin and go an buy a proper device as I feel that no one will fix this. The though of spending 30 mins talking to the woefully inadequate is  just not worth the bother.

Done some digging on the net and it appears that the hub2 has lots of issues with a lot of vendors wifi cards with dropping packets and constantly trying to renegotiate  on 802.3 g. 

802.3 n is ok and b.

So why does BT release a device with known issues and not warn us or tell the help desk? 

0 Ratings