cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erniem
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 2 & Ipod touch mac address issue

My son just got an ipod touch, for which I would like to restrict his access to the internet as with his laptop.

The mac address begins with f8 rather than 00 and for some reason the Home Hub software will not identify this and allow me to configure it as a known device.

I don't want to have his iPod jail broken to change the mac address as that would invalidate the warranty.

Is this a known bug or is there a work around.

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 2 & Ipod touch mac address issue

Hi Erniem,

Thanks for posting. The Ipod touch isn't something we support so I don't have any information on restricting internet access. I think you should contact Apple who might have the information you require, unless one of the other guys on the forum can help.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
erniem
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

But its just a MAC address, that the Home Hub Gui is not liking, can't someone get to the coding team to allow it to be more open on possible MAC addresses.

Ernie

0 Ratings
Highlighted
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 11

It is an unusual MAC address for the UK - was the iPod bought here?  That said, there are an increasing number of gadgets arriving here with MAC addresses that begin other than 00:

Just checked my list of devices and I have one that begins 90: (more Apple stuff) and that connects with no problem to a BT Business Hub.

Might be worth you switching MAC filtering off for an hour or so, then see if the HH picks up the iPod on its own, if it does, you should be able to switch MAC filtering back on after adding the new device.  However, I suspect this won't work.

This may be an increasing problem and its worth flagging up to the firmware developers, as if it is a restriction, they need to do something about it pretty quickly - and their idea of urgency is not mine.

You could also drop a PM to PsiDOC who knows more about the firmware on the HH than most.

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

Tags (1)
MikeL
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

It is a strange MAC address. A MAC address consists of 6 hexadecimal numbers. The first three define the manufacture of the device.

There are MAC look up pages - http://coffer.com/mac_find/ for example.

If you type Apple into the search box you get the list of MAC address ranges used by Apple.

Regards Mike
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 11

Mike,

I think the site is out of date - it doesn't recognise my iPhone and doesn't list Apple as having MACs beginning with 90:

0 Ratings
erniem
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Generaldisquiet

Yes it is a UK Ipod touch, not that it should matter, if I had a friend come from the states, I would want that device to also work and be configured.

The problem is not that it won't connect its that i can't restrict access to it on a home hub 2 as the gui doesn't accept it as a valid mac address.

Note I did say HOME HUB and not BUSINESS HUB, they will have different functionalities

I also can't hack the html to get to the right page

Where can you set Mac address filtering on a Home Hub 2, as I can't find it.

Thw hub is running Software version 8.1.H.J (Type A) - so its up to date

I also got told by BT support that the BT Power save function is also disabled

0 Ratings
MikeL
Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Yes it is out of date. The one on the IEEE site has all the Apple MAC addresses listed.

http://standards.ieee.org/regauth/oui/oui.txt

Regards Mike
0 Ratings
sattimano
Message 9 of 11

how many wireless devices you using in your house

if thats one you can hide the wireless hub after connecting to it your laptop

0 Ratings
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 11

@erniem wrote:

Generaldisquiet

Yes it is a UK Ipod touch, not that it should matter, if I had a friend come from the states, I would want that device to also work and be configured.

The problem is not that it won't connect its that i can't restrict access to it on a home hub 2 as the gui doesn't accept it as a valid mac address.

Note I did say HOME HUB and not BUSINESS HUB, they will have different functionalities

Where can you set Mac address filtering on a Home Hub 2, as I can't find it.

erniem,

Apologies, I should have given you some advice on how to change the MAC filtering option on the HomeHub.  Assuming you have a HH2.0  To prevent or restrict a specific MAC address from making a connection between a selected time, log in to your HH and go to Settings and select 'BT Access Control'.  If it is 'on' there will be a list of devices with permitted logon times and you can try and add your new one manually - or switch MAC filtering off.

If you have a HH1.5, log into the hub, go to Advanced, and go to 'Configuration' > 'Wireless' > 'Security'.

Then go to "Allow New Devices:" and check to see if it is set to "New stations are allowed by registration", and press either uncheck the box and press 'Apply' to remove MAC filtering,

Or,

To add a new device and keep MAC filtering, go to 'Configuration' > 'Devices', and there's an option to get the Hub to scan for available wireless devices. You can edit a discovered device and assign it permission to connect via the Hub.

If you can't log in to the HH - you may need to do a hard reset on the hub - see Jarviser's instructions here.

If all this fails, then the problem is with the HH firmware.

0 Ratings