Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 12

Home Hub 2 wifi issue

Go to solution

Back ground: I have been with BT since Dec 2009 and have had no problems with broadband and my BT vision works well.  I normally get download/upload : 16/1 Mbps

Problem: Since 11th this month I'm having problems connecting to my hub wirelessely.  Everything seems to be working fine and then suddenly - No internet.  All the lights on the hub are blue.  The wifi card on laptop shows networks available and when i try to connect it would not and not even to BTFON/BTOpenzone, but would effortlesslely connect to my neightbours BTFON/BTOpenzone.  

The same problem with my 2 other laptops and Android tablet, Android phone, iPhone and HP printer.  

The only thing which helps is restarting the router - and it works flawlessly till the problem recurs in a few hours and the time between problems has decreased to around half hour.

I tried resetting the hub and taking the power off and restrting... No help.

I contacted BT helpline - Not very helpful - more concerned and saying its because of static because of the BT vision and tele -- how absurd... then why should it have worked for 2 years?????

the only New thing is the Firware upgrade on 11/05/2012 

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home Hub 2 wifi issue

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 12

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply.

I did go through a few threads of the forum and it has not been helpful.  

What i could not understand is.. BT insisting that its Static which is causing all the problem... - inspite of me telling them - Nothing has changed in two and half years...

Shall be on the hunt for a solution.   

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

HI

Just thought of updating.

When my laptop is hardwired - the internet works and so does the BT vision without any problem - even if the wifi has packed up.  

I have tried using different channels and the things are complete random.

Any more help would be appreciated.!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
have you tried updating the wireless card drivers from the manufacturers website
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

It could be a sign of the WiFi module failing in the home hub. I assume that you have tried resetting it to factory default?

The other thing it might be, is someone using a video sender nearby. Some of these work on the same frequencys as WiFi, and can occupy a number of channels.

Have you another wireless router you can try?

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

its not just one laptop - its multiple wireless equipments... including phones!!!!!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution

Looks like it.

time for a new hub!!!!! 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution
I suggest you contact the help line and request a new hub
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution

The phones do not actually use WiFi as they use the DECT base station instead, which is still a "radio" device.

At a guess, I would say that the power supply to the home hub is failing, and causing the wireless and DECT to be "noisy"

Usually however, it affects the broadband connection as well, when it start to fail.

A replacement home hub is worth a try, but only if you can get one for free. Otherwise you would be better buying your own router of a better quality. There is a good one for about £35.

Warning, you will lose the facility to use your hub phone and also Broadband Talk if you ask BT for a replacement hub.

Lots of people have been caught out by that Smiley Sad

If you do use any of those facilities, then you would be advised to buy a replacement home hub 2 from another source.