Did you mean: 
Highlighted
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 51

Home Hub 3; Apple devices

Go to solution

Hi

I've been having some serious and unusual problems with the Home Hub 3 recently!

For some reason, web pages are loading VERY slowly. This includes the Home Hub's configuration pages as well as very simple web pages such as this forum. I can wait 60-90 seconds or longer just to load one page fully. However this is only affecting my MacBook and iPhones on my network - pages loaded from Windows laptops and other smartphones are fine! And, to make matters more confusing, once I open a stream (file download, speed test, video streaming) I have no problems whatsoever and see full Infinity speeds as expected. It's just getting to the page to begin with!

I have tried using both default DNS settings and OpenDNS settings on my devices and this has made no difference.

When I restart the Home Hub, things are fine for a few minutes but then this problem crops up again and only affects my Apple devices!

Any suggestions? 

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 51

Re: Home Hub 3; Apple devices

Go to solution

Hi,

Long-time Mac user here.

Just dump the HH3 and get an Apple Airport Extreme. . . . It just works!

Seriously, the HH3 has all sorts of odd quirks. If you get a good one, they are just "OK" .

I dumped mine after having had several replacements following the upgrade from ADSL to Infinity. No problems since then and the WiFi signal (which is dual-band) is substantially better. With the HH3, the signal just about reached outside the back door, but with the AE, I get a full strength signal at the bottom of the garden about 70 feet away.

McGrath1982
Expert
Message 3 of 51

Go to solution

Hi jjgraphics 

I too have problems with the HH3 on my iPhone 4s and 2011 iMac how does Apple Airport Extreme work does it replace the HH3 all together? As only just got a iMac at Christmas after coming from a Windows based computer and not 2clued up on all Apple products.

THANKS Michael 

0 Ratings
jjgraphics
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 51

Go to solution

Hi Michael,

Yes, the AE simply replaces the HH3. It takes about 10-15 minutes from start to finish to do the change-over.

As with all these things, spend a few minutes studying the instructions carefully before you begin.

Leave the OpenReach modem as-is, just disconnect the Ethernet cable at the HH3 and remove the HH3 and its power supply.

Place the AE in position and use the same Ethernet cable to connect to the WAN port on the AE.

Run the Apple set-up with your iMac connected to the AE with an Ethernet cable and off you go!

Its probably a good idea to choose a new SSID (the name of your network as seen by the users) and to invent a new strong password. You will then simply need to re-set your devices to see the new SSID and password.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 51

Go to solution

@jjgraphics wrote:

Just dump the HH3 and get an Apple Airport Extreme. . . . It just works!

I'd love to swap out the HH3 for an Airport Extreme!  I was wondering whether this would work.

However, at the moment I can only look for slightly cheaper solutions. 😞

0 Ratings
Alan63
Expert
Message 6 of 51

Go to solution

Hi there,

I'm also a mac user and now use time capsule as my router AND wifi'd back up device - wonderful - easy peasy. But I did use the HH3 for 6 months before i moved - and did not experience any serious issues. It a basic device and did what it said on the tin. I actually found the wifi range perfectly adequate.

some stuff to check:

If you are wireless then check out your channel congestion (i use istumbler) : there's also apps on itunes store that you can put onto mission control. it tells you who esle is on the same channel as you...

The more neighbours around you who use the same channel as you, the more contention you'll have on wifi speed. Check it out as a possible drain on your speed. Perfect = 3or4 channels away from others as they overlap a bit.

also try using the 40Hz option (from within the settings part of the hub) - I don't really understand the details but i'm told it has better range.

0 Ratings
Snakey
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 51

Go to solution

Is it possible a neighbour has recently got Infinity and you're suddenly getting channel contention that you previously weren't having? We recently got Infinity and our laptops connected wirelessly no problem, but our iPhone and iPad refused to connect. We logged into the HH3 and chaanged its channel and immediately the Apple devices connected. Simples!

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 51

Go to solution

@Snakey wrote:

We logged into the HH3 and chaanged its channel and immediately the Apple devices connected. Simples!

I'd tried three different channels over a period of a few days to no avail.

The unusual thing is sometimes everything works fine, then for no apparent reason it just kicks off again. Since this has started very recently I'm wondering whether the router could be faulty?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 51

Go to solution
Could be. If you've done all the wireless diagnostics, call up and request a replacement.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 51

Go to solution

@Webby wrote:
Could be. If you've done all the wireless diagnostics, call up and request a replacement.

If these are done through the Desktop Help software, then I can't because it is Windows-only, which is also unhelpful on BT's part.

Unless you mean some other diagnostics which I'm not aware of? If so then I'm all ears!

0 Ratings