Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 21 of 51

Re: Home Hub 3; Apple devices

Go to solution

Have you got a proper manual with a picture showing the ports at the back, is the ADSL one large enough to plug an Ethernet cable in? Sometime they will take either.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 22 of 51

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Have you got a proper manual with a picture showing the ports at the back, is the ADSL one large enough to plug an Ethernet cable in? Sometime they will take either.

I don't have another manual. The ADSL port only has 4 pins and is too small to fit an Ethernet cable 😞

The diagram on P7 of the manual you linked is accurate and the best I have

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 51

Go to solution

The online manual is useless. Is there any other port marked WAN?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 24 of 51

Go to solution

If there is no WAN connection, then we will have to do it a different way.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 25 of 51

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There are 4 Ethernet ports labelled as "connections to your computers", an "ADSL line" port (too small for Ethernet cables), a "reset" hole and the Power jack.

There is no WAN port or anything else.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 26 of 51

Go to solution

I have also found a BT Home Hub 2.0, type A, which appears to be no more useful than the Belkin at the moment.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

There are 4 Ethernet ports labelled as "connections to your computers", an "ADSL line" port (too small for Ethernet cables), a "reset" hole and the Power jack.

There is no WAN port or anything else.

Fine, I don`t understand it, it just seems a bit odd.

The alternative plan .....

You need to connect a computer to it, so you can make some configuration changes.

I would suggest that you initially set up a static address on your computer as it suggests in the manual.

Go into the LAN configuration and change the LAN IP address to 192.168.1.50 and save the settings.

You will loose contact with the router as the subnet would have changed.

Change the static address of your computer to 192.168.1.100

Subnet 255.255.255.0

You should then be able to access the router again using the address 192.168.1.50

Go back into the LAN configuration and disable DHCP, and save settings.

Make sure you can still access the router at 192.168.1.50.

You can now connect it to an Ethernet port on the HH3, and you should be able to access the wireless part of the router.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 28 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

I have also found a BT Home Hub 2.0, type A, which appears to be no more useful than the Belkin at the moment.

You can try the HH2 if you get no success with the Belkin. I can point you to a full description of how to do that.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 29 of 51

Go to solution

I am sorting out dinner soon, but should be back about 1900, I will leave you to experiment for the moment.

All you will be doing, is to use the wireless part of the router as an access point. But its default IP needs to be in the same subnet as the home hub, which it is not its factory setting.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 51

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

All you will be doing, is to use the wireless part of the router as an access point. But its default IP needs to be in the same subnet as the home hub, which it is not its factory setting.

I appreciate all of your help but I remember trying this before and never managing to get anywhere at all. No matter how many instructions I followed and settings I changed, I was never able to get an internet connection to reach the Belkin.

I am trying a different path to sort out the HH3, I was hoping to use a Static IP for my MacBook rather than relying on DHCP, which could be a problem. However if I tell my MacBook to use a Static IP, which is outside of the DHCP pool, then I get no internet connectivity (although I can still reach the HH3).

Example:

The HH3 is set to its default settings which are

• IP: 192.168.1.254
  • DHCP Range: 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253
  • Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Therefore I have told my MacBook to use the IP address 192.168.1.63

However as I've said I get no connectivity to the Internet and although I can access the HH3 with these settings, my device does not appear in the Home Network list.

0 Ratings