Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 41 of 51

Re: Home Hub 3; Apple devices

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Outside, as its only there for administrative purposes, so you can access its interface to change settings etc.

Both routers have a DHCP pool now, does it matter that the pools are overlapping? Am I doing this incorrectly?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 42 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Outside, as its only there for administrative purposes, so you can access its interface to change settings etc.

Both routers have a DHCP pool now, does it matter that the pools are overlapping? Am I doing this incorrectly?

You must disable the DHCP on the slave, was it a Belkin one? I get confused with lots of different threads, must be my age Smiley Wink

0 Ratings
dcullum
Aspiring Expert
Message 43 of 51

Go to solution

You must disable DHCP on the slave otherwise the default gateway handed out by DHCP on the slave will prevent access to the internet.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 44 of 51

Go to solution

Just to update everyone I have decided to put this on hold, as for the last few days I've not had any bother with the HH3 and am worried that tampering with it might make the problem come back.

If it plays up again then I'll try and wire up the second router. Thanks everyone for your help 🙂

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 45 of 51

Go to solution

I have wired up the Belkin successfully - thanks Keith!

The wireless performance of this router doesn't seem to be quite as good as the HH3 though - if I have no further problems with this configuration is there any way I can use this as evidence to tell BT and have a replacement HH3 sent out instead of wasting my time on the "it's your computer's configuration" helpline?

Also I lost broadband connection a couple of times - could this be because I have had to use a 2-way to connect both routers to the same wall socket? If so then there is no safe way to get power to the area where the routers are so I won't be able to do anything about it, as the only sockets anywhere near are used by the OR modem and the router(s).

Finally - is it possible to use the Belkin's features such as URL blocking in some way?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

I have wired up the Belkin successfully - thanks Keith!

The wireless performance of this router doesn't seem to be quite as good as the HH3 though - if I have no further problems with this configuration is there any way I can use this as evidence to tell BT and have a replacement HH3 sent out instead of wasting my time on the "it's your computer's configuration" helpline?

Also I lost broadband connection a couple of times - could this be because I have had to use a 2-way to connect both routers to the same wall socket? If so then there is no safe way to get power to the area where the routers are so I won't be able to do anything about it, as the only sockets anywhere near are used by the OR modem and the router(s).

Finally - is it possible to use the Belkin's features such as URL blocking in some way?

Its possible that the Belkin may upsetting the HH3 if they are too close, but I do not think that power issues would be the problem.

No, the URL blocking sits between the WAN and LAN, so its not visible on the LAN side.

All you are doing is using the wireless side of it.

If you want url filtering and access control, you would need to replace the HH3 with a different router like the

TP-Link TD-W8960N which would cost about £37, and would also fix your wireless problem.

It may save a lot of arguing with the helpdesk.

There is a full list of HH3 replacements here Home Hub 3 Replacements

Highlighted
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 47 of 51

Go to solution

Hi folks, while using the Belkin router does solve the problem I mentioned in my original post, I have noticed that connecting via the Belkin reduces my speed by almost 80%. This can get irritating and is probably due to the router's wireless technology if nothing else (it's a good few years old).

Connecting through the HH3 (when it works) gives me a speed I expect to see from Infinity:

HH3 connection speed

However when connecting through the Belkin (which always works!) I get quite a disappointing speed:

Belkin speed

So I'm back to hoping that BT will replace the router if problems persist, as I'm really not keen on forking out for a new router when I feel that I've essentially proven the fault is within the HH3. Any idea whether explaining all of this to BT will make them just change my router?

0 Ratings
Celtictricky
Beginner
Message 48 of 51

Go to solution

Interesting to see comments that the Airport Express is better than the HH3.

Certainly having just had BTTB installed I was impressed with the HH3, and especially its coverage as I live in a 250 year cottage with mega thick walls!  That said I already had a Time Capsule which I want to use as the router so as to use the Guest Network for visitors.

I found the signal to be really poor, and random on the Time Capsule, and also they guest network feature does not work due to being connected to the BTHH3?

Currently thinking about switching back to the HH3 to supply my wireless though.

Open to take any advice though as my Apple mind wants to stay with the Apple Products 🙂

0 Ratings
Distinguished Expert
Message 49 of 51

Go to solution
have you used this tc before or is it new for you?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 50 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz There is no WAN port or anything else.

Long dormant post so maybe you have given up on this part.  If you are still considering setting up the Belkin as an alternative to the HomeHub.  Several ADSL/cable routers have a configuration option somewhere to remap one of the LAN ports as a WAN port; then connect up appropriately and follow Keith's isntructions for login.

0 Ratings