and  Using static IP addresses on your home network

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 51

Re: Home Hub 3; Apple devices

Go to solution

is yours a hh3 type A

see http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-HOME-HUB-3-Type-A-v-Tpye-B-info/td-p/423355

i had issues with that and managed to insist on a replacement after getting passed to the home network team from tech india.

They do charge however i was put through so no cost and then got discontected about 30 secs later but they called me back 🙂

They eventually agreed to send a replacement HH3 as i had prooved the issue to tech when i allowed them to remote in and i showed them the problem comparing an old router to bt hh3 type A wireless performace..only prob is u have to hope its a type B as they cant request a type.

Fortuantly it was a type B and now my wireless works as it should. Didnt on HH3 type A.

if u cant or dont want to splash alot of dosh on a new router which is better than HH3 it might be worth a try to get it replaced if u have no other options or success

there have been reports in forums of the HH3 type having issues with unix like OS which macs are.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 51

Go to solution

I've pretty much given up on Static IPs too, despite following your guide I never get internet connectivity!

@spar wrote:

is yours a hh3 type A

see http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-HOME-HUB-3-Type-A-v-Tpye-B-info/td-p/423355

i had issues with that and managed to insist on a replacement after getting passed to the home network team from tech india.

They do charge however i was put through so no cost and then got discontected about 30 secs later but they called me back 🙂

They eventually agreed to send a replacement HH3 as i had prooved the issue to tech when i allowed them to remote in and i showed them the problem comparing an old router to bt hh3 type A wireless performace..only prob is u have to hope its a type B as they cant request a type.

Fortuantly it was a type B and now my wireless works as it should. Didnt on HH3 type A.

if u cant or dont want to splash alot of dosh on a new router which is better than HH3 it might be worth a try to get it replaced if u have no other options or success

there have been reports in forums of the HH3 type having issues with linux like OS which macs are.

I can try this but I'm worried that they'll end up charging me money for something which isn't my fault. As far as I'm concerned, when I pay them £38 a month they should make sure that my service works.

Apparently some Windows users are now having problems and some are fine, and an Android phone is having trouble.

The problem is how intermittent the whole thing is. It'll be acting up, then while I'm on the phone to them it's suddenly working fine and it can stay fine for hours and then it goes off again. Whenever I ring up she says she can see that there is "no connectivity problem" (whatever that means) so can only pass me to this Home team(?)

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 34 of 51

Go to solution

well i was fortuante enough to be able to proove my issue but BT  were still a bit relunctant

and they make it so painfull sometimes, but not always

i say stick to your guns and insist on a new router and get to a uk call centre (or see if forums mods can get u one sent out)

tell them its not fit for purpose and calmly explain and insist on a new router, dont take no for an answer.

unfortuanly tech india are not the easyist to get anything out of nor, imo do they empathise v well or understand certain issues, u might get a good tech though so who knows, just never been my experience.

youll get more joy from UK and the home team imo.

u can try adding an old router and use it as an access point for wifi if u have that option.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 51

Go to solution

I understand things a little better now, and will try using my Belkin as an access point connected to the HH3 as Keith suggested earlier. Failing that I'll be back on the phone to BT.

I shall try this again tomorrow.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 36 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

I understand things a little better now, and will try using my Belkin as an access point connected to the HH3 as Keith suggested earlier. Failing that I'll be back on the phone to BT.

I shall try this again tomorrow.

Well I know of plenty of people using spare routers as access points, provided to follow my instructions, it should work. I have used varios old BT Voyager wireless routers as additional access points without any problems, provided that the IP address is correct, and DHCP is turned off.

The other alternative is to use a dedicated wireless access point as I point out in this document

Wireless connection problems

0 Ratings
spar
Aspiring Expert
Message 37 of 51

Go to solution

thing is though kieth he really shouldnt have to use another device.

like for me as soon as i got the hh3 type B problems solved.

Using the other device should proove that the other BT hub has issues and be replaced. I got BT to remote in to proove the hh3 type A was at fault by doing this.

But still had to be very insistent to the home network team to send a replacement.

wasnt left feeling very good about it all as a customer experience

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 38 of 51

Go to solution

@spar wrote:

thing is though kieth he really shouldnt have to use another device.

like for me as soon as i got the hh3 type B problems solved.

Using the other device should proove that the other BT hub has issues and be replaced. I got BT to remote in to proove the hh3 type A was at fault by doing this.

But still had to be very insistent to the home network team to send a replacement.

wasnt left feeling very good about it all as a customer experience

Agreed, but its persuading BT to replace the home hub that can be a problem for some people.

0 Ratings
lyesbkz
Aspiring Contributor
Message 39 of 51

Go to solution

Should the IP address of the slave hub be inside or outside the DHCP range of the HH3?

Whenever I use a static IP on my laptop, I lose connectivity altogether after a couple of minutes and can't even access the router. I have no idea why, but I have to set it back to use DHCP to continue.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 40 of 51

Go to solution

@lyesbkz wrote:

Should the IP address of the slave hub be inside or outside the DHCP range of the HH3?

Outside, as its only there for administrative purposes, so you can access its interface to change settings etc.

0 Ratings