cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kluba80
Message 211 of 560

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

Go to solution
Well we are all waiting for a resolving problem software update! i'm new customer to BT infinity. Have been extremely happy user of Virgin 50Mb but after moving house virgin was not available at the new address. So I decided to give BT a chance. So disappointing that BT hub and really hope port forwarding issue will be resolved asap. regards
0 Ratings
largebrick
Message 212 of 560

Go to solution

Just got BT Infinity Option 2 set up by engineer about 45 mins ago... switching from O2 home broadband, which had a static IP. I was gutted to come across this thread, as I regularly need to connect remotely to my home network to control my home automation system.

I can get port forwarding working direct with the IP, but not with the dynamic DNS - PLEASE resolve this as soon as possible, it is simply not acceptable on a premium service (more than twice the price of my previous provider).

0 Ratings
Moderator-Retired
Message 213 of 560

Go to solution

Hi Everyone

As you know we have been working with the hub team on this issue, and have some more detailed info for you below.  This explains in a bit more detail how port forwarding may be used.  Through our testing, we have not been able to find any issues with port forwarding itself. However there are some situations where you may have difficulties when using the Hub 3a, and although this is not down to port forwarding, there are some issues which are related to the loopback feature.  We have some info on how you can get round this problem until the next firmware rollout is released – we do not currently have a date for this. 

Please see more detailed info from the hub team below:

The BT Hub 3A supports port forwarding from the WAN (Internet) interface to a host sitting on the home network.  This allows connections initiated from the Internet to reach a computer on the home network. 

Examples of when this may be used are

a) A customer runs a web server from the home network and wants to access it from another location on the Internet.

b) A customer is running certain games where other users can connect to their games box directly.

Port forwarding has been thoroughly tested and we cannot find any issues.

To connect to a server on your home network from another machine on your home network port forwarding is not required. The local address of the server can be directly entered into the client.

A problem can arise where a customer attempts to connect to a server on the home network from another computer on the home network using the Hub's public IP address.  This may occur if, for instance, you have setup a dynamic DNS address for your Hub and type this into a computer on the home network (this is sometimes referred to as loopback).  This behaviour is currently not supported.

There are a few work-arounds that can be used depending on your situation.

If you need to test that port forwarding rules are correctly configured you should access your server from another Internet connection.  You may be able to use a FON or Openzone network to do this although be sure that you are not connected to your own hubs FON SSID. 

If you need to connect to the server from the home network always use the server’s local (private) address, for example: 192.168.x.x

Another way of connecting to the server from the home network is to use a proxy server on the internet to relay the web request. 

Unfortunately BT cannot recommend a suitable proxy but you should be able to find public proxies using an Internet search engine. 

I hope this helps.

Craig

BTCare Community Mod

If we have asked you to email us with your details, please make sure you are logged in to the forum, otherwise you will not be able to see our ‘Contact Us’ link within our profiles.

We are sorry but we are unable to deal with service/account queries via the private message(PM) function so please don't PM your account info, we need to deal with this via our email account :-)”
td-p/30">Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
BryantI
Contributor
Message 214 of 560

Go to solution

Sorry this isn't a work around at all. We need LOOPBACK I have a Scouts and Brownies web site sitting on my home server and all the time I don't have loopback I have to write the site maps for the search engines ever time we do an update with is every few days.

As for port forwarding I didn't have an issue on my last HH3 but the replacement I have now I have to use ip address and give the server a fixed ip to get any port forwarding to work if you just pick the device name it will not work I spent a whole day trying to set the router up when it was change due to the last HH3 dyeing on wireless.

Roll on the next 10 months so that I can change to another supplier the day the contract runs out is the day I leave.

This just isn't good enough services you sell a top level package at a top level price and the product doesn't do what a free sky package would do other than speed and even this you have control on and slow things down at busy times.

NOT GOOD ENOUGH Just fix the issue you supply a better router that will fix the issue.

0 Ratings
Meteosat
Aspiring Expert
Message 215 of 560

Go to solution
That really is BAD news dressed up as good news. The ability to test, check, confirm, etc is an essentail part of the process, and to suggest accessing via some other ISP reveals a dreadful shooting in the foot scenario.

Perhaps I can resurrect a different router.. :-((
0 Ratings
Highlighted
timsoane
Beginner
Message 216 of 560

Go to solution

Thanks CraigS.  Your response, although not saying anything fundamentally new, encouraged me to persevere with setting up an FTP server.  And my FileZilla FTP server is now working fine.  I found this article helpful.  I was being thwarted by the Windows 7 firewall.  The key point is that one must select the FileZilla server.exe in the program files not the FileZilla Server Interface.exe to be allowed to communicate through the Windows firewall.  A bit of trial and error with ftptest.net quickly found the issue.

0 Ratings
jsewell
Aspiring Contributor
Message 217 of 560

Go to solution

BryantI, can you not use a change to the hosts file to get aound the loopback issue?  To be honest I've never had a router that did this and have always done this for when I want to test locally hosted services that are meant to be remotely accessable.

I must say though that, this is a home internet connection server as far as I was aware and not sold as a connection suitable for hosting.  I'd never think of hosting an actual website on my local domain when there are so many services that could probably do a basic job of this on a proper internet connection for a few pounds a month.  The hastle of setting up and maintaing a publically accessable web server within my local network and keeping it up to date with security patches etc is just not worth it personally.  I suppose using the DMZ functionality on the HH3 would mitigate this slightly though, are you using this already?

John

0 Ratings
skOOby
Message 218 of 560

Go to solution

Well, thanks to this thread, I've finally got port forwarding working.

Very frustrating as my old HH2 worked straight out of the box.

Steps taken where to set the name of the forwarded device to my dyndns address, and then crucially make sure the IP address of the forwarded device was outside the DHCP range of the router. This last step may be obvious to some, but I'm a newbie to all this!

Been working perfectly for a few days now!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 219 of 560

Go to solution

Using static IP addresses, outside of the DHCP range, is always the best option for non-roaming devices. Saves a lot of hassle.

0 Ratings
mrxavia
Message 220 of 560

Go to solution

Craig,

This is NOT a solution, a solution would be a firmware update....

The HH2 had issues, BIG issues that meant I had to have extra switches to get DLNA to work, and I got cut off intermitently, so I was glad to get a HH3, but this Looback issue is massive, you are basically saying you do not support a basic feature that a router should have, how are we supposed to test the port forwarding if we cant access it via IP or dynamic DNS? 

Surely it should never have been released with such a glaring error...

0 Ratings