cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
glenn2watson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 361 of 560

Re: BT Home Hub 3 Port's are not opening.

Go to solution
Almost a year on and there still giving out type A routers. Still no update to the firmware, I'll be calling again tomorrow to request a type B...
0 Ratings
Longway
Contributor
Message 362 of 560

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

Go to solution

So has this issue been finally laid to rest with the HH3 Type B?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
shoby
Beginner
Message 363 of 560

Go to solution

There are two stages to fixing this problem that you have.

Firstly - Assign a static IP address to the host(s) that you want to forward ports to.

Secondly - in ADVANCED Port Forwarding - forward the ports to the IPv4 address of the host(s).

For some reason, when you use the standard method of port forwarding on the HH3, it chooses IPv6 addresses for the host(s) and this just does not work properly. If you forward the ports to an IPv4 address, it works absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever.

IF THIS WORKS FOR YOU, PLEASE GIVE ME A STAR!!

Now... does anybody have a way to bypass BT's fascist packet-shaping policy? 😕

Longway
Contributor
Message 364 of 560

Go to solution

I did have a NAS box that was visible from the internet whilst I was using HH3 TYPE B, just forwarded http, https, and ft. All worked flawlessly since install. I could see my website and the apps running both internally and from the internet outside.

However on friday last week had an engineer visit as I was getting lockups where there was no internet access. One of the things he did was to swap out my HH, the replacement was a TYPE A. Since then NO access from internally of my external website, ftp, and etc. Plus its now not online.

The helpline are going to send out a HH3 TYPE B, will that solve this problem, or will I have to buy my own router.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 365 of 560

Go to solution

@Longway wrote:

The helpline are going to send out a HH3 TYPE B, will that solve this problem, or will I have to buy my own router.

Do BT really get so many hardware failures? They appear to swap out hubs and modems at the drop of a hat? (Just a very unscientific observation of these forums.) I had an engineer round some months back because I lost connection and whilst he was here he swapped out 3 modems before realising the problem was actually at BT's end (which was ultimately resolved with a phone call!) - there was nothing wrong with the modem.

FWIW I have a HH3 Type A and port forwarding appears to work OK for me. I have static IPs and short simple names for the devices (which seems to have caught out some people).

0 Ratings
Meteosat
Aspiring Expert
Message 366 of 560

Go to solution

I think your engineer was misled - a number of areas experienced significant connectivity loss last weekend. BT do say in their daily usenet bulletins that there could be outages after midnight, but for me it has been before that curfew.

Hope the new HH3B works OK. It is no fine for me with port forwarding when I followed previous threads advice.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Longway
Contributor
Message 367 of 560

Go to solution

My replacement HH3 type B arrived today. Hey presto now port forwarding works. It's like night and day

So if people have a HH3 type A and are getting problems with ports not forwarding they should contact the helpline and switch to a type B.

vindyaa
Message 368 of 560

Go to solution

You're a STAR!! I chose 'user defined IP address' instead of a device and typed in the static ip of the camera, and bingo it works!! 

Reading through this post, I thought it would be a no joy with HH3 but it works now..thank you so much!!

0 Ratings
vindyaa
Message 369 of 560

Go to solution

I mean shoby is a star:)

0 Ratings
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 370 of 560

Go to solution

I have been reading this thread with great interest as I have batteling port forwarding myself.

Yes, the BT Home Hub 3.0 Type A is fairly rubbish, but contrary to posts in this thread that it does not port forward are untrue. I do have to however admit that I work with a big MC/SI (Management Consulting / System Integration) organisation so have a little bit of a clue when it comes to these things.

Despite managing to get the router to largely work, I am a little dissapointed that some basic loop back functions don't work because they would of course make life significantly easier. I am also frustrated by the lack of support for UPnP as whilst I realise there are differences between manufacturers in its implication, these days for a consumer device you should be trying to get this bit right as it has the potential to stop 90% of calls regarding port forwarding.

I am somewhat heartened to hear that the 3.0 Type B can at least do loop back, but based on reports on this forum I suspect its UPnP is still pretty shoddy. I am however unsure as to whether I can be bothered to battle the ICC (Indian Call Centre) to get one and try it out. Suggestions from those out there that know the key to this would be much appreciated. I have little interest in paying £30 to someone who probably knows less than myself only to find out 1-2 hours into the call that I will get the fee refunded. Seems to me like time not well spent!

Background: I have a Synology NAS and like many here wanted to get it working to access it's other functionality (namely the ability to access files whilst out and about).

My recommendations to those reading this thead is to carry out the following steps as assuming your router is up and running and doing its most basic job properly:

1. Log into your router

2. Go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Home Network -> IP Addresses

Note down your DHCP Network Range - it should be something like 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253 (Default)

What this means is that anything from 192.168.1.1 through to 192.168.1.63 should not be issued as an address by your router through dynamic addressing. This is an important step!

3. Next I suggest you select a number between 1 and 63. and then log into your NAS or other offending device and set the IP address of that product to 192.168.1.X where X is that number you chose between 1 and 63.

4. Go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Port Forwarding -> Supported Applications

5. "Add a new game or application" (don't copy anything from the past) and in my example let's call it Synology although the name really does not matter.

To keep things really clean, for ports which need to be open, just use either TCP or UDP. Don't use the "Any" option. For example, if you want to forward port 80 for TCP, select the following:

Protocol = TCP

Port Range = 80 to 80

Translate = 80 to 80

Continue to follow this step until you have put in place all the firewall rules you require. For Synology, this is likely to be quite a number of ports running across both TCP and UDP protocols. Remember the golden rule not to open more ports than you need as each opening represents a theoretical security risk.

When finished hit "Apply".

6. Go to Settings -> Advanced Settings -> Port Forwarding -> Configuration

Select the 'Application' you created in the step before from the Application drop down list and then under device select the bottom option of 'User Defined IP Address'. Select this and enter the IP address of the device you setup in Step 2/3, where X = the number between 1 and 63, i.e. 192.168.1.X

7. Hit 'Apply'.

--------

Port Forwarding will now be in operation, although be aware that because this router does not support loop back, you will need to log on from another connection (friend's house or mobile network) to see whether your rules are in operation.

Despite the rubbish UPnP functionality, I still recommend you leave this on as I know from personal experience that it is only 90% broken and some applications will get it to somewhat work.

I hope that this post helps some people out there, although we do need to push BT to fix their rather poor product. I for one am very keen to see how well the Home Hub 3.0 Type B works.