Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Travelstar
Contributor
Message 371 of 560

Re: Home Hub 3 Port Forwarding (NOT)

Go to solution
I should add that another frustration I have is that should you restart your NAS, the BT home hub will temporarily forget all the port forwards set up even though the NAS IP address stays the same. Only a full reboot of the router will solve the problem. This just shows how broken the firmware really is!
0 Ratings
Montala
Aspiring Expert
Message 372 of 560

Go to solution

Hi,

Having just found this particular thread after trying (unsuccessfully) to sort out this problem over the last four days with my Home Hub 3A, I called BT technical support yesterday and asked for a free replacement to a model 3B.

My polite request was categorically refused (unless I wished to pay for it) so I made it very clear that I was not happy with this, and terminated the call.

Less than 24 hours later I received a call from BT's second line technical support, who advised me that my complaint had been escalated to them, and who (once I had explained the problem to them) immediately offered to send me a free model 3B within 3 days.

They called back a couple of hours later with an order number, which confirms that I will indeed be receiving a new black 3B home hub in two days time... so until then I shall be keeping my fingers tightly crossed!

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 373 of 560

Go to solution

@Montala wrote:

... I made it very clear that I was not happy with this, and terminated the call.

Hhhmmmm, I could do with a new HH3B, just to clarify, did you...

A. Say goodbye at an inappropriate point in the conversation, then hang up.
B. Expressed your unhappiness (no goodbyes) then hang up.
C. Expressed your profound displeasure, mumbled "I'm going to Virgin Media", then hang up.
D. Chuntered a series of profanities, "I'm going to Vrigin...", then hang up.
E. Turned the air blue, made some derogatory remark about his mother, muttered "I was better off with Tiscali" and began to chant, "Virgin here we come...", then hang up.

?

I feel as if I need to get this bit right.

0 Ratings
Montala
Aspiring Expert
Message 374 of 560

Go to solution

Hi Mr P,

I will certainly do my best to pass on a few pointers, although my approach may not work for everyone!

Firstly, it is always a good idea to bear in mind that (1) Your call is being recorded, and (2) They know exactly who you are... and where you live!

It is therefore best to refrain from making any comments relating to the parentage of the person with whom you are speaking, their race, colour, or country of origin... even if you are finding it difficult to understand what they are actually saying to you!

In my particular case it is pointless my even mentioning Virgin, as I live in a so called 'rural' area (which means that I can see more trees than houses, and also the occasional sheep)... so no self respecting cable company would even consider laying a cable anywhere near me.

Anyway, back to my conversation.

Having confirmed the fact that he (or she) is not prepared to supply me with a replacement Home Hub, I ask for his (or her) name, which will probably have to be spelt out, as it usually contains plenty of letters such as p, b and h. I then inform them that I am not at all happy at the way in which my call has been handled, and that I do not feel I am being treated as a valued BT customer.

I ask them to ensure that they record this statement in the call log, and then go on to say that I will be escalating my complaint to a higher level. Then, after receiving even more sincere apologies, I say that I am obviously wasting my time by continuing the conversation, and make a point of actually (and politely) saying 'goodbye', before hanging up.

I can almost guarantee that within 24 hours, and possibly much sooner than that, I will receive a call from 2nd line technical support, (still 'off-shore' though!) to whom my complaint will have been escalated, and who are far more receptive to my request.

As I mentioned in my last post, they quickly agreed to send a Model B out to me, and even called back (at my request) to confirm the order number, which I was soon able to track at www.bt.com/ordertracking

Hope this helps... and good luck! Smiley Happy

(Please note that some of the above was obviously written with my tongue firmly in my cheek!) Smiley Wink

Montana216
Aspiring Contributor
Message 375 of 560

Go to solution

How come you were offered a Type B box, I was told yesterday that Type B boxes were not being sent out for two reasons, firstly, BT says that they only have to provide a service of internet connection and things like port forwarding aren't covered , and secondly, there is a problem with the Type B boxes and they are under investigation.Personally I think the second reason is the biggest lie that I've heard to date, as it would've have been mentioned on these forums before now.

I've tried everything in this post ( and other ones ) , to no avail , I know there is no loopback via these boxes , so checking the IP address and port number can't be done with a machine on the network, but seeing as I have now checked the settings, tried many different ways to get port forwarding to work and NOW checking if it has worked with my smartphone using 3G/H (whatever that is) and not wirelessly, and still nothing has worked, so each representattive that has told me that the ports are open, have been lying to me from the begining.

When I ordered BT Infinity , I ordered it over the phone and I know there was NO mention of the HH not being able to do certain things ( even though it's part of the HH menu !! ) , otherwise I would have asked, and also BT Infinity is part advertised as being great for gaming ( not in my case ) , does this constitute a small case of mis-selling ???

Any and all answers welcome.

Andy

0 Ratings
Whitecroft
Aspiring Contributor
Message 376 of 560

Go to solution

I am sorry but I am also an IT expert and am in a formal dispute with BT over this.  It may work but for most on a Type 3A hub it will not.  I first raised the dispute in mid 2011 and to cut a very long story short BT admitted that there was a software fault that they intended to fix - you will see that response earlier in the forum - however they did not fix it.  I have been called at senior manager level by BT and still despite the promisses it still will not work.  I am astonished with the business need for Port Forwarding this has not hit the main press.

BT handing of this is astonishing but reflects the offshoring of help and the seperation of help from technical support

Quite simply appaling

0 Ratings
hi2meuk
Beginner
Message 377 of 560

Go to solution

It is dissapointing that it is taking BT such a long time to resolve this.  Perhaps they will become more motivated if more people demanded the 3b version to solve the problem as this will hit push up their costs.

I run two small web sites over my connection and although it works fine for external hosts, I cannot see my own web site which means I cannot test any changes when I make them.  A workaround to this, which is not entirely satisfactory is to set my local hosts file to direct the URL to the internal web server address.  This will not test my internet DNS forwarding setup and means that my testing is now flawed, but I can check the web pages for errors.

e.g. contents of C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts

192.168.1.1      www.mydomain.com

I hope this is of use to somewone.

0 Ratings
MrP
Aspiring Expert
Message 378 of 560

Go to solution

@hi2meuk wrote:

... it works fine for external hosts, I cannot see my own web site ...

This second issue is "NAT loopback", not port forwarding (although related). If external requests are able to access your locally hosted website then port forwarding itself is working OK. This is the same situation I'm in with my HH3A (and yes, it is a right pain being unable to test properly). There does appear to have been a lot of confusion in this thread between "port forwarding" (supposedly the subject of this thread) and "NAT loopback" - they are two separate issues as far as I'm aware.

0 Ratings
rightclickfix
Contributor
Message 379 of 560

Go to solution

I've read through this thread with great interest. I'm a self employed technician (I don't regard myself as an expert) and I'm installing a Swann CCTV mobile app on a clients iPhone 4/s. I setup my own months ago so decided to offer it as a service and have done another two so far with great success although I did struggle all the way due to the complexity of the situation.

I've come to the conclusion that port forwarding is a 'must do' when installing the mobile app and DVR etc. and have setup my own now which were fine most of the time via my VM Supe Hub but port forwarding has got them working solidly 100% 🙂

I simply cannot get it working on the clients connection despite throwing all I know at it! I've forwarded the mobile port (18004) and even the media and web ports too just in case. Tried enabling DMZ and told the hub to give the DVR the same IP which I sort of like but don't like as it seems to do it by default on all devices? maybe to lessen the burden of DHCP therefore lengthening the lifespan of the device?

The only possible option I've overlooked and was mentioned here by Telstar (cheers) where I could set the DVR to receive a static IP from outside the LAN pool. I haven't tried that but my guess is that the fw of the hub v3..? (new) is not playing so I want to know if there's anything I can do with it prior to buying a third party router known to work with the CCTV appz?

TIA Andy

ps: if I'm thread jumping or twisting I'll gladly start my own thread 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
SuperFresco
Aspiring Contributor
Message 380 of 560

Go to solution
I support that statement! I have a Type A hub and had given up. Just thought I'd give it one more go and found this thread. Made the ip address change and it now all works! Thanks to all the suggestions on this site but particularly to shoby.
0 Ratings