Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 3 Wireless problems

Go to solution

Hi,

Recently my wireless download speed on my HH3 has dropped off, from a consistent 35Mbs to less than 2Mbs.

I have emailed support about this, and have followed their suggestions, such as power cycling and changing channels, which fixes the problem momentarily, but download speeds soon drop again (Upload has been unaffected).

I have one hard wired computer which always gets high speeds, around 38-40 Mbs.

Today I decided to phone BT, after they were supposed to phone me yesterday. After an hour on the phone, we got no further than 'there must be a new device in your area causing interference' however nothing has changed in my home and no neighbours are having this issue, so I do not believe this is the cause.

I therefore assume there must be a problem with the HH3 on the wireless download side, however I was assured by the helpline that there wasn't.

I am on BT infinity 1 Unlimited, do I need to by a new Home Hub, or should one be provided?

Or should I change to a third-party hub?

Thanks for any help

Simon

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 3 Wireless problems

Go to solution

I am getting exactly the same problem, HH3, BT infinity normaly get 36 down about 10 up. At the moment upload is unaffected but download is currently about 6mb. Has been working fine ever since orginally installed about 1year ago. Have not changed anything. Plugging in via ethernet gives 40mb. Spoke to call centre today who told me it was a wireless issue so could not help. I asked if the hub could be broken, they told me it was showing as working ok. Bit stuck as to what I should do so will follow thread carefully.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.

I've reset the hub, and wireless speeds are currently good (32Mbs down, around what I had before).

I'll update this tomorrow when i've had a chance to see if the speeds drop again.

Many thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution
Again, this seems to be the same sort of symptom as the channel fade thread and the HH3 wireless speed drops thread.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

Yes, very similar to the channel fade thread you mention.

Done the reset, speeds back down to less than 3Mbs.

Anything else to try, or do I just need to replace the hub?

If so, would you guys suggest a HH5 or a third-party hub, if so which one?

Many thanks

Simon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Just as a final update to this, a few days ago I spoke to BT's complaints department, and they were much more understanding of the problem I was having. I was immediatly offered either a replacement HH3 or an upgrade to a HH5 for a discounted price, which I took.

Now using the HH5, and haven't had any problems with the wifi since.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11
Moved:

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Ah thanks for this is exactly what I am about to do, as my Home Hub 3 was dropping wireless speed several times a day, after 3-4 years of reliable high Infinity and fine with no extra devices in our house. Online chat kept trying to fob me off a bit, resetting didn't keep the speed up for longer than any channel changing, so finally having got a ncie lady on the phone, we arranged a new home hub 5 which is coming this week. Fingers cross. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

I have given up taking to BT technical support as this is a futile act and I end up going around in circles.

I have had this problem for nearly 2 months now whereby every day I need to reboot my HH3, each time I contact BT tech support I have to start the whole painstaking basic diagnostics from scratch.  I have already been sent out a replacement HH3 (Type A) & this did not resolve the issue at all.

Each time I phone or hold a live chat they have to start at the basics of 'have you tried turning it off & on again'.

I work in IT support & I wish I had the option of ignoring what the customer tells me so I can blindly follow my script!

Even though I am in an existing contract I have given up & I will go online & order myself a HH4 or HH5 & then sell my HH3 to hopefully resolve this issue.

0 Ratings