Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Darcstar
Beginner
Message 1 of 28

Home Hub 3 and wireless access points plugged in to the ports

Hi all,

being a veteren to IT and wireless networking I am not a complete novice, just saying to set the scene.

I have a wired network and wireless devices from Iphone, PS3, desktop and a few wireless laptops Win7 and XP so a good portfolio of options.

I had a single wireless ADSL model and 2 wireless access points. all Belkin kit and all reliable could connect to any of the 3 without issue. ( 2 are N and 1 is G )

Now BT Infinity has arrived. and a single N wireless adsl modem router has been replaced by the BT Home Hub 3 and 2 access points are connected to it.

So All wired access works fine, all Wireless access to my original access points work fine.

I can not connect any wireless device to the BT HH3 , its being seen ok, I have tried the default key and tried setting it to a dumbo key of 11112222 to ensure no typing error is in coming into play.

If I leave my access points powered up but unplug the cable into the HH3 I can connect wirelessly to it no problem, disconnect and reconnect no problem , no prompting of password ( after first input )

As soon as I connect the ethernet cable to the HH3 from my access points, I can continue to use the wirless through HH3 but if that device connects to my access points and then tries to go back to the HH3 , it will be refused connection.

And no more new wireless connections can be made through the HH3.

This is Bizarre and I am hoping someone may have a reason for this?

This is the 2nd HH3 from BT which has now lead me to this conclusion after further tests.

All my access points have "protected mode off" so that shouldnt be part of the issue .

Any help or advice from any Guru's 🐵

0 Ratings
27 REPLIES 27
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 28

Re: Home Hub 3 and wireless access points plugged in to the ports

First of all the subnet of the home hub could be different than your original router.

Also you will need to assign static addresses to the extra wireless points.

See my article about home hub static addresses here Static IP with Home Hub

There are also some issues which arise with the wireless on the home hubs see Wireless Help

I use a home hub 1 with a separate access point, and other people have additional access points and wireless

repeaters working without any problems.

There is a lot of information in those documents, based on other forum users questions

0 Ratings
Darcstar
Beginner
Message 3 of 28

Many thanks will check the link out
FYI my access points have static IP. 192.168.1.2/3 my original router was ip 192.168.1.1 now replaced with the HH3 192.168.1.254.

I'll check subnets and your link out cheers
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 28

@Darcstar wrote:
Many thanks will check the link out
FYI my access points have static IP. 192.168.1.2/3 my original router was ip 192.168.1.1 now replaced with the HH3 192.168.1.254.

I'll check subnets and your link out cheers

There is a problem using 192.168.1.2 on the home hub network, as it is reserved internally for handling the FON and BTOpenzone VLAN, so that is why I suggested using higher ones.

Here is part of the config for the original home hub, I would expect the config is similar on the HH3.

add name=openzoneadd index=15 command="dhcp relay modify name=_dyn_WL$1rel intf=_dyn_WL$1IP addr 192.168.1.2 giaddr=10.10.10.138

If you have multiple access points, then disable the "smart wireless" feature on the HH3, and select a channel manually.

You must have a large house to need so many access points. Powerline adapters may be a better option to carry the Ethernet to other parts of the house.

0 Ratings
Darcstar
Beginner
Message 5 of 28

Ok, thanks for that,

I have since checked the subnets and all are 255.255.255.0

All channels are fixed and set to different static bands. I also have Metageek Wi-Spi so nothing in the area is in the bands chosen.

I'll give this IP change a go, thats useful information to know , would you know if any other IPs may be reserved? I have fixed IP's on a print server and a few other devices ending in 9, 10, 11 and 19.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 28

@Darcstar wrote:

Ok, thanks for that,

I have since checked the subnets and all are 255.255.255.0

All channels are fixed and set to different static bands. I also have Metageek Wi-Spi so nothing in the area is in the bands chosen.

I'll give this IP change a go, thats useful information to know , would you know if any other IPs may be reserved? I have fixed IP's on a print server and a few other devices ending in 9, 10, 11 and 19.

I assume you mean the netmask is set to 255.255.255.0 on all devices, not that it is relevant on your network.

I am not aware of any others that the home hub uses.

All I can say is that other people, including myself, have used the range suggested in my document, and everything has worked.

The main issue lies with the erratic behaviour of the DHCP server in the home hub 3.

0 Ratings
Darcstar
Beginner
Message 7 of 28

Hi , logically I'm thinking this is not an IP issue but I have done the following:-

all Subnet masks are 255.255.255.0

HH3 - IP 192.168.1.254

HH3 - DHCP set to 192.168.1.85 to 253

I'm using the first 20 from the Defaults i.e. 192.168.1.64 to 84 for my static ip devices

Belkin 1 - 192.168.1.66 - no dchp

Belkin 2 - 192.168.1.67 - no dchp

both are access points only.

Problem remains that I can only connect to the HH3 wirelessly with the ethernet cable from the Belkins is disconnected.

I dont even think this is a signal frequency issue as I dont turn the power off on the Belkins.

There is something screwing with the HH3 Wireless when those access points  cable is plugged in.

I guess most people dont add additional wireless access points to their HH3's to have come accross an issue like this.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 28

@Darcstar wrote:

I guess most people dont add additional wireless access points to their HH3's to have come accross an issue like this.

Well people have uses my instructions here and extended wireless using Powerline adapters and WAP on the end.

Wireless boosting

I have used 192.168.1.15 in my document, mainly to avoid a clash with those people who use my other suggested IP ranges instead.

There has been plenty of feedback to confirm that it works.

I cannot see why the Belkin units are upsetting the home hub 3, but I know its a very fussy router, and many people are using othe ones.

I have a HH1, but do not use the wireless part because of poor throughput. I use a separate WAP.

I also do not use the internal Ethernet switch, as it resulted in disconnections.

I know this is a longshot, but have you tried putting an Ethernet switch between the home hub and the Belkin WAPs, and not using the hubs internal switch?

My network looks like this

Home Network.jpg

0 Ratings
Darcstar
Beginner
Message 9 of 28

Funny you mentioned this I do have an enthernet switch...... which I had considered as an option to fit as you described to make all the AP's go through it....

however you now get to the core of why I havent tried it and its because in life's partnerships there are the men who do techincal stuff like this and there are the women that dont like wires, plugs, anything you cant light thats scented or anything that you cant stick an arrangment of flowers in, and specially a box that needs dusting around.....

I will get round to trying this out but really this shouldnt be this hard, lol, I've just been round powering down various devices one by one and trying different connectivity combinations and am about to resign myself to just using the access points and not bothering about the HH3 wireless leave that for the BTFON and BT Openworld connections. ( which work fine )

Thansk for help and advice so far will update the thread if I make progress or not.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 28

Well my main Ethernet switch in in a cupboard where the NAS is. The home hub sits on top. The other switch is in a spare room with the rest of the kit.

I use Wireshark to diagnose any connectivity issues. I have it running on a laptop with an Ethernet hub connected to it.

The hub being half-duplex slows things down a bit, but its fine for fault finding.

I would be interested to hear what you discover.

0 Ratings