Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtis1149
Beginner
Message 1 of 12

Home Hub 3 says I'm recieving 3.2Mbps, but my PC only recieves about 0.9-1.1

Go to solution

This is my first post 🙂

My BT Home Hub 3 says I recieve 3.2Mbps, but for some reason my gaming PC gets 0.9 to 1.1 Mbps, it is connected by Ethernet and has a short cable, the PC also supports 100 Mbps, is this a Home Hub 3 setting? or is the hub wrong?

Please reply soon

Thanks.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Home Hub 3 says I'm recieving 3.2Mbps, but my PC only recieves about 0.9-1.1

Go to solution

welcome to the forum

in order for the forum members to help please can you post the adsl stats from your router may need to 'show detail' to get all stats (if hub enter 192.168.1.254 in your browser and navigate to adsl or use a-z, if netgear enter 192.168.0.1) and run btspeedtester (MAC users may have problems) http://speedtester.bt.com or http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9354/c/346,4740,5520 and post the results .

are you connected directly to the NTE5 master or test socket or to somewhere else? Is the master the only phone socket in your home?

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal

Someone may then be able to offer help/assistance/suggestions to your problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
curtis1149
Beginner
Message 3 of 12

Re: Home Hub 3 says I'm recieving 3.2Mbps, but my PC only recieves about 0.9-1.1

Go to solution

I just connected the line to the 'Test Socket' (the socket thats there when I open the cover), I now have 4.2 Mbps, witch is faster than before, but I just relised the phone doesn't work when it's plugged into there, so I have had to change it back. I also have a phone plugged into a different socket, my computer now says I get about 2 Mbps, this is still not what the router (Home Hub 3) is recieveing. I rang 17070, I heard nothing apart from the slight sound because I only have a wireless phone. (Below info was copied after I plugged the line back into the normal socket, not the test socket)

Download  Speed
 2089 Kbps

7150 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Connection Information
Line state:Connected
Connection time:0 days, 00:02:07
Downstream:3.344 Mbps
Upstream:448 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI:0/38
Type:PPPoA
Modulation:G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type:Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.4 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.3 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.4 dBm / 12.4 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):119 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote):0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote):0 / 0
HEC Events (Down/Up):0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):884 / 265
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

Go to solution

You said

"phone doesn't work when it's plugged into there"

Try what I suggested in this post that I made to another user, to keep your phones working.

Connect two filters together as shown in the diagram below.

Plug the first filter into the test socket and connect the home hub to the adsl connection on that microfilter.

Take the "loose" part of the front plate, which will have a telephone type plug at the end, and plug it into the "phone" side of the second microfilter.

It should just push in, but it won`t lock in.

Right you now should have you home hub connected, and your extension phones etc should work.

twofilter.jpg

This second phone socket it the one you plug the loose part of the front plate, which has a plug on the back.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 12

Go to solution
you need to reconnect to the test socket and check out this link http://www.filesaveas.com/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html that may improve your speed
curtis1149
Beginner
Message 6 of 12

Go to solution

I now get nearly 4 Mbps, and the phones work too. Thanks,

But this still doesn't sovlve the issue of my PC getting sutch a low internet speed when the Home Hub 3 is receiving more,

is the hub reserving it for other devices? is there a way to direct it to this main computer?

Acording to BT Speed Tester Lite (Beta), I get 0.42 Mbps, this seems about right, I can just about load a 240p Youtube Video...

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:03:33
Downstream:3.938 Mbps

ADSL Settings
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.5 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.5 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):685740 / 198
CRC Events (Down/Up):1290 / 239
HEC Events (Down/Up):16568 / 236
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):983 / 327

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

Go to solution

What was your BT Speedtester result?

At http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Paste your result here.

We need to know what the IP profile is.

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 12

Go to solution
can you please post the full bt speedtest and post the results your down load speed will always be lower than your connection speed
0 Ratings
curtis1149
Beginner
Message 9 of 12

Go to solution

I knew my connection speed would still be faster, but my PC is getting very little connection,

even the Laptop running on Wireless apears to be getting more... It's not a PC issue, it was working fine about 4-5 days ago, after buying a nice new peice of equipment for me and my friends to use (Game server) witch uses 3 Ethernet ports our internet has being going lots slower, and it seems to have the right connection speed again, just my PC doesn't get the right connection, I'm not sure if the game server may have changed somthing to the Hub to give itself more of the connection, or somthing like that.

I've had it turned off for the past 3 days, we also had an issue in the past with BT's Bandwidth, our internet had gone un usable due to downloading a 24GB file, after about a week of un usable internet we had to ring them up, they replied with "We have increased your internet bandwidth", witch means nothing to me, do we need to do the same again maybe?

(Speed test (Beta) result below)

test.png

ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Connection time:0 days, 00:19:41
Downstream:3.938 Mbps

ADSL Settings
Noise margin (Down/Up):9.6 dB / 21.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up):46.5 dB / 26.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up):19.9 dBm / 12.3 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up):685922 / 198
CRC Events (Down/Up):1290 / 239
HEC Events (Down/Up):16568 / 236
Error Seconds (Local/Remote):983 / 327

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Go to solution
can you please do the full bt speed test as it give information we need about you connection the beta one does not