cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Home Hub 4 Restart and Firmware upgrade

I had BT infinity installed in July 2013 and every couple of weeks some of the devices are unable to join the network on WIFI.

I have split the 2.4 and 5 ghz channels into two different names thinking that would stop the issue.

It worked for a bit but it seems every few weeks I have to hit the restart button on the hub 4 to get the devices to recognise and use the network.

I have been monitoring it because I don't know what is wrong. 

The devices are and old ipod touch, iphone 5 and old XP laptop.

I thought it was the old Ipod because of its age but when the iphone 5 was unable to connect to the 2.4ghz channel I thought maybe its the hub. 

I managed to get the 5ghz on the iphone 5 but I can't understand why the 2.4ghz isn't working being recognised.

I have a newer ipod touch and a samsung tablet and these always keep the wifi 2.4ghz connection so thats why I don't think its the hub but I can't be sure and restarting it so far seems to allow the other devices to join the 2.4ghz channel network.

I have switched off, rebooted, 'forget the network' on the old ipod touch and now made that static rather than DHCP.

I am using channel 11 for the 2.4ghz channel,  my neighbours have channel 6 & 1 so I can't change channels.  

The other week when it happened it only was 'unable to join' on the old ipod. So I left it and the next day the wifi was back. 

I just want to shed some light on what maybe causing thisso I can rectify it either by accepting its the devices or contacting BT to get a replacement hub.

The hub & modem lights never have changed colour.

Also my firmware is still showing 24/7/2013 against the date - so I get a new version ?

Finally, can I just plug the broadband in to hard wire the laptop if I can't get wifi ?

Sorry to be a nuisance but is it just me getting these problems ? 

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 5

Re: Home Hub 4 Restart and Firmware upgrade

Angie2601,

Answers to  your questions from bottom to top

Other people are getting these problems but usually they are caused by the users environment.

If you connect your laptop to the hub with an ethernet cable it should work. Initially you may have some problems but they should be easily fixed.

To solve your current problems I suggest the following:

1.  If you go to your Hub Troubleshooting Page and select Helpdesk then copy and paste the Hub details to Notepad

2.  Edit the page in Notepad by XXXX the private bits and then copy and paste in a post here.

(example below). This will give us a base to work from.

3. I then suggest we tackle your problems device by device. The Old Ipod seem as good candidate.

4. Avoid restarting the Hub it should not be necessary.

5. Avoid a Factory Reset (This is a last resort). It may cure your problems temporarily but they are likely to return. 

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 (Type A) Last updated 27/11/13
4. Board version: BT Hub 4A
5. WAN: PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received: 2.1 GB / 414.7 MB
7. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT FON: Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: xxxxxxx
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA and WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 6
13. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-xxxx
14. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n 40 MHz (Recommended)) 20/40 MHz, WPS enabled
15. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 40
17. Firewall: Default
18. MAC Address: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
19. Software variant: -
20. Boot loader: -

0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Hi Vofsanity2,

thanks for the reply. The details of on my HH4 Helpdesk are as follows:

BTW I noticed my firmware updated on 6/12/2013.

1. Product name: BT Home Hub
2. Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
3. Firmware version: Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.130.1.17 (Type A) Last updated 06/12/13
4. Board version: BT Hub 4A
5. WAN: PPP Connected
6. Data sent/received: 13.3 GB / 243.9 MB
7. Broadband username: bthomehub@btbroadband.com
8. BT FON: Yes
9. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-xxxxxx
10. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (Recommended)) 20 MHz, WPS enabled
11. 2.4 GHz Wireless security: WPA and WPA2
12. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 11
13. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID: BTHub4-xxxx
14. 5 GHz Wireless connections: Enabled (802.11 n 40 MHz (Recommended)) 20/40 MHz, WPS enabled
15. 5 GHz Wireless security: WPA2
16. 5 GHz Wireless channel: Automatic / 40
17. Firewall: Default
18. MAC Address: xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

19. Software variant: -
20. Boot loader: -

I had to hit the restart because still unable to join network on old ipod touch and iphone 5 (after 48hrs of unable to join) Currently able to connect.

I have also printed the event log of the hub during the time I was unable to connect if there is anything on that which may help.

Thanks and please help,

Regards

Angie

0 Ratings
vofsanity2
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 5

Angie,

With the Ipod Touch connected go into

The Hub Manager, Advanced Settings,Home Network, IP Addresses

Make sure the lease time is set  to 21 days.

Now click on Devices then Refresh.

You should find your Ipod listed under Wireless Connections/ 2.4 GHz 

Hopefully it has a sensible name otherwise note the MAC address.

Now click on the entry for the Ipod.

Set "Always use this address"  to Yes

Click Apply.

You may like to take a copy of this Ipod  page for future reference.

This may cure the problem but if you fail to connect again we can investigate further.

Regarding the Event Log it is useful to select the DHCP category from the drop down and see when the Ipod acquires the lease and when the lease expires.

Please report what happens.

Your Iphone 5 may provide a more complicated situation as it should be able to Switch from 2.4 to 5 GHz and back depending on the strength of the channel. We will tackle this when the IPOD issue is resolved.

It is a good idea to have separate SSIDs for each frequency as you have. 

0 Ratings
angie2601
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Hi Vofsanity2,

Thanks so much for the reply.
I will have to attempt this at the weekend, but please don't forget about me as it maynot work !!
0 Ratings