Their reply was.....
"I am sorry, i cannot help with this issue"
So it is a lost cause it would seem???
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 54

Re: Home Hub 4 and DLNA

I found you had to be persistent and definitely need to speak to UK Tech support, not foreign Tech support. I can provide number if anyone wants it.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 13 of 54

Went back through things and noticed that the PMS DNLA setting on the Plex server was disabled! Must have happened during an upgrade! I re-enabled and rebooted the server and the PS3 picked it up and I have been able to stream normally.

So it appears that the HH4 does support DLNA other users must be having a configuration issue.

Happy to share my configuration which is specific for Plex Media Server.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 54

I would like UK tech support number please.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 54

Anyone having issues should try and log into the BT Home Hub Manager and select Advanced Settings, home Network, DHCP Table.

If any of the names in the list have a space or are suffixed with a MAC address change the name by clicking on and select a more friendly name with no spaces. You may need to check the IP of the affected unit to match the name up.

This seems to be a fault with the BT firmware that fails to pick up the correct name for devices other than Windows based PCs!

It also causes problems with sending email via Apple Mail.
Highlighted
Message 16 of 54

I don't have any spaces in my device names and I have been experiencing this issues since switch to BT with HH4 2 weeks ago.
Thanks for the suggestion
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 17 of 54

I am now using my Airport Extreme and everything works as it did before I started using HH4. Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 18 of 54

Does the Home Hub support DLNA working?

I'm hoping someone from BT ( or a forum mod ) will please give a nice simple answer - Yes or No to this question, and then offer some pointers as to how to get it working properly for all the people having issues with DLNA.

I appreciate there are many different devices that DLNA can connect to and share with: Laptops, phones, PCs, TVs, Games consoles etc, but surely someone at BT should be able to say if it Should work correctly and has been tested, or if its a no-no unless you are very lucky. If its a no-no that would seem very odd in this day'n'age for a recently released router.

I have set up DLNA myself which kind of works and I can show photos and standard def videos from my Phone and my Laptop wirelessly to my router and then wired to my Panasonic TV using DLNA. It basically works, but my problem is HD video is a no-no ( yes I'm using an HH4 and 5Ghz) its very jerky indeed. Should it be?

However, other people on this forum seem to be having no success at all, and some say "it worked OK with my last ISPs router but I can't get it working with the HHx" or to that effect.

At this stage, with so many people complaining about DNLA issues ( and there are quite a few posts on this forum ) I would have hoped that someone from BT ( or a forum mod ) would "chip in" and state the if HHs ( esp the latest HH4 model but other older models as well ) are supposed to be DNLA complient or not? And if so, the basic details of what specifically ( if anything ) needs to be done to get it reliably working.

So basically, BT ( or a forum mod ) - any comments please? Does DLNA work on a HH4 ( or older )? whats to be done to get it reliably working? Is there a HH4 specification somewhere that includes or excludes DLNA working?

>> Perhaps a DLNA sticky would be nice from BT to detail how to set it all up within their router, i.e. are there any particular HH settings that need to be on or off? are there any specific ports it needs to use in the firewall etc

Thank you

PS - If any user wishes to comment please feel free. If you have a DLNA tip to get it working, please comment. If you agree wth me that it appears not to work 100% or is unreliable please also comment, Thanks. But I'd like to get BTs standpoint. Perhaps a DLNA sticky would be nice from BT to detail how to set it all up within the router, i.e. are there any particular router settings that need to be on or off? are there any specific ports it needs to use in the firewall etc

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 54

It is good that AirPort Extreme is a solution, but the fact is, you should not have to spend more money on more equipment to get around the problem.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 20 of 54

Re: Does the Home Hub support DLNA working?

The Homehub 4 doesn't contain a DLNA server, but it does support DLNA. My understanding of it is that it just works, so there shouldn't really need to be any configuration settings on the Homehub. If it worked with a previous ISP's router, it may have allocated each device an IP address on a subnet different to that which is used on the Homehub and as such the settings on each device may need wiped and re-applied? I personally don't use DLNA much (so my experience is minimal) so I can't really comment for sure but if you have any specific questions on it feel free to ask and we can see about getting them answered.

Dean
BTCare Community Mod

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.

If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.