cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 54

Re: Home Hub 4 and DLNA

I've had to to the same, replaced two HH3s that lost DLNA functions with an airport extreme, it all works perfectly.

After a series of emails to BT Digital care (India?) they still will not accept that BTs implementation of DLNA is suspect. They want to keep sending replacement Home hubs. I'm down £129 but my network now functions as it should.

Howard

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 22 of 54

Re: Does the Home Hub support DLNA working?

DeanM - Thanks for giving some info on this DLNA issue on the HH.

The problem I have is that DLNA mostly works, as it mostly did on my HH2b. I upgraded to the HH4 hoping things would get better ( "Best Wireless ever" ) but it didn't.

If my phone or my Netbook is close to the router DLNA seems to work for everything, but even if I get a few feet away ( well 6 feet-ish ) then HD video starts to stutter and jerk.

I assume its a wireless issue, but I was hoping the HH4 with its 5Ghz network would help this, it hasn't.

The problem is the router is upstairs, the TV is downstairs. Both the Phone and the PC show a strong signal ( Excellent ) when near the TV, but whilst photos and standard def videos dispplay on the TV, HD just jerks.

I'd be interested to know if there is a way I can diagnose and locate where the problem is. I could undersand if the phone and the PC reported a weak signal, but they dont, they report strong-excellent signals when this is going on.

But from the other posts on the forum and in this thread, it appears quite a few people can't get it working at all. Can't help thinking something is afoot somewhere?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 23 of 54

Don't know if this will work but try seperating the 2.4GHz and the 5GHz by giving them a seperate SSid rather than letting them share the same SSid. You should then be able to see if they can all see each other and on which SSid.

Highlighted
Contributor
Message 24 of 54

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give that a try again and see what occurs.

I think originally, I did set them up as seperate and tried to access via the 5Ghz network and I'm sure it still stuttered. However, I dont remember trying to access via the 2.4Ghz side as I assumed it would be the same as the old HH2.

I'm guessing, I have a large interference problem somewhere, but if that was the case would I get reports of strong-excellent signals on the phone and PC? Or how do I locate the source if so?

I'll try again ( will be in a few days ) and post back.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 25 of 54

I have a HH4 coupled with some Apple Airport Express units to extend wifi range and provide Airplay support. I have no issues with DLNA support. I am currently watching a HD recording via a Panasonic recorder (BW780) streaming to another Panasonic recorder (BWT720), which is connected to the home Hub via wifi (2.4Ghz). No stuttering or and other issues.

It is essential to use something like inSSIDer to check for wifi congestion in your area as you can't assume the router will always select the best channel. Also don't assume 5Ghz will give a better connection, it will at close range but as the distance increases you may be better with 2.4Ghz!

Give separate names to the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz network on the HH4 as this seems to cause issues with some devices when set the same (although never an issue with Apple Airport products).

Log into the router and check that the names assigned to your devices do not have any : used as this causes issues. It can be changed in advanced options, DHCP table.

Ideally, where possible, use wired Ethernet connections for high bandwidth devices as this is the most reliable method.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 26 of 54

Just an update. I did replace the new HH4 with the HH3 and DNLA has (again) been working flawlessly for the past 2 weeks. This weekend, I again tried the HH4, left it in for a couple of days in case of any firmware updates and then tried the DNLA again with the same results.

PS3 couldn't "see" the linkstation until I forced it to search for it. The samsung couldn't pick it up at all without having to constantly turn the TV off and on again every 30 mins or so.

Back to the HH3!!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 27 of 54

I take my last post back, well some of it anyway Smiley Wink

When I have my Panasonic BWT720 connected via WiFi to the HH4 some devices can see it and some can't! As soon as I switch the WiFi connection to my Apple Airport Express all devices can see it!

Therefore it would appear there is an issue with the WiFi implementation within the HH4 that is causing issues for DLNA devices. This is a really poor showing for BT as DLNA is not exactly new!

I never did like ISP provided routers and this has not changed my view. Lucky I don't need to rely on the HH4 for WiFi as I have other devices that can cover that function. I am sure most users would be better served by fitting their own quality router, such as the Apple Airport (Extreme, Express or time capsule). I may repalce the HH4 completly at a latter date with a Time capsule, only retaining the BT provided modem.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 28 of 54

My set up is with Ethernet not wifi and even with hardwire connection DLNA will not work with HH4.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 29 of 54

Hi Chaps

I was looking for such a thread before making a new post.

So far, very impressed with HH4 (apart from the long time it takes to start up wrt HH2!).

I installed a gigabit switch and have also installed a Synology NAS running two 3TB discs.

It all works fine . . . all 3 laptops connect fine wirelessly.

Hmm, the TV (a LG SMART one) was connecting OK via cable but now it seems to struggle.

It doesn't connect straight away and you have to faff about  . . .switching the TV off and on . . . manually setting IP's etc and it just might connect!  When it does, it's fine, it'll see the NAS and will stream whatever.

The Freesat box (a crappy Technisat thing) connects first time every time . . . weird.

The HH4 DNLA isn't quite up to scratch and maybe some firmware updates will solve this?

(Is this done automatically??)

Prof

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 30 of 54

I have been told by Tech guys at BT that Hub4 is NOT DLNA compatible and that in order for this to be sorted out, people need to email BT for the matter to get noticed. When emailing I was also told to head it as an equipment related problem, not broadband problem.
0 Ratings