cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 4 and Windows Media Center extenders

Hi, I cannot get my PC to see my Xbox as a Media Center extender. This used to work fine on the Home Hub 3. The computer just can't see it at all. Any ideas?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 4 and Windows Media Center extenders

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

No it's not that. The Xbox isn't connected wirelessly. The Xbox is seeing the Internet with no problem.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Are all the settings the same for both hubs?

If you still have the HH3, I'd double check. Also have you deleted the HH3 details from both devices?

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I am having the exact same issue. BTHomeHub 4 connected by wire. The 360 can connect to the internet fine but will not connect to my PC. Worked perfectly fine on the HomeHub 3.

Settings are exactly the same as have tried every possible port-forwarding tip from the web I can find the fix anyone who had issues connecting it with the old HomeHub.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

You could ask about this here - http://community.bt.com/t5/Announcements-Terms/Ask-the-Experts-Live-Chat-Home-Hub-4/td-p/887544

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Is anyone else experiencing this? My setup is not unusual at all.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 11

This may or may not of been you, but have a read anyway

7:22 Josh 
Is it a known issue that the HomeHub 4 has problems identify the Xbox 360 as a media center extender when connected through a wired connection?

7:24 Sam:
Hi Josh, we are aware of this issue. This is a problem with the Xbox rather than the HH4 but something we are reviewing together.

Hopefully BT and MS will come up with something

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 11

Well that's something I guess. At least BT are aware of it, thanks.
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 10 of 11

Re: Home Hub 4 and Windows Media Center extender

Hi,

just received my homehub 4 a couple of days ago and have been having the same issues, although my network is completely wireless. It's not just a problem with my PC not seeing my XBOX as a media center extender but also with my XBOX not being able to see any UPnP servers on my network. To prove it was the Homehub 4 I connected my old netgear router and everything worked just fine. 

What I noticed was that the Windows 7 PC that I was running Windows Media Center from was connecting to the Homehub 4 on a 5GHz channel (new wireless dongle which supports 2.4GHz & 5GHz), the XBOX was connecting on the more normal 2.4GHz channel. You would think that this doesn't matter since ultimately they both connect to the same network but in my case they just wouldn't talk to each other! I followed the instructions here:

http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-Speed-Connection-Issues/BT-home-hub-4-wireless-connection-issue-on-the...

to ensure that the SSID of the 5GHz (e.g. BTHub4-ABCD_5GHz) channel was separated from the 2.4GHz (e.g. BTHub4-ABCD_2_4GHz) one and forced the Windows 7 PC and any other Media Servers to use the 2.4GHz channel rather than the 5GHz one and now all is well. Not an ideal solution as I would have liked to use the 5GHz channel where my hardware allows it but it will do for now.

I think I read further down that your XBOX may have been connected via a cable rather than wirelessly and I don't think there was any mention of how your media centre PC was connected, but if your PC is connected via the 5GHz channel it might still be worth moving it to the 2.4GHz one and trying again.

Cheers

0 Ratings