Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
spotnpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 4 connection time out on Mac mini, all other devices fine

Go to solution

Hi,

I've been using this same mac mini with this router for 2 years without a wi fi problem, but over the last few weeks it's been dropping out and I'm getting 'connection time out'. All other devices (i.e. ipad,phone, another mac) are fine and never drop out.

The mac mini is the only device with this problem. It drops, then searches, I then turn it off for a few seconds, and sometimes it comes back. It always finds and connects to FON without a problem. I've re-set everything a few times, and performed all the recommended re-setting prodedures for the mac itself.

I'm very reluctant to go through BT's official help as they have proved to be pretty useless in the past, so, anybody got an idea what's going on?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 4 connection time out on Mac mini, all other devices fine

Go to solution

Have you tried a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This is different from a "soft" reset. It can often sort out wireless problems.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Try turning Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Also try separating the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

"

Devices where there are known to be problems include:

• Some Apple devices including iPhone 5 and Apple TV

• some Android smartphones

• Xbox<

"

spotnpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try them and get back to you with the results.

Regards.

0 Ratings
spotnpaul
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

Hi,

24 hours after trying both your suggestions, and not one drop in connection since.

I've now got 2 separate dedicated connections to the home wif-fi: 2.4 & 5gz. My problem mac is exclusively on the 5gz frequency without issue. 

Seems to work so far.

Fantastic, and thank you!

0 Ratings
Karen09
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

In order to fix this problem you have to log into the settings for the home hub and turn off the combined security of WPA/WPA2.   Set WPA2 up as security for the 2.5 and 5 Ghz and leave the WPA off.   

The Macs that have the problem can not connect to a combined security protocol but when adjusted to just WPA2 there is no connection time out problem and connection is fast and reliable.  It took me a while to work this out, but I'm an IT consultant and found this problem happening with almost every Mac I had in my lab to work on, so it was important to figure out what this problem was, as it had to be the router settings.  

0 Ratings
Paint-can
Beginner
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Karen09, you're right about the setting, but Macs have that setting (at least on Yosemite). I was having a tough time getting on the network, but eventually did, thanks to your post (wifi>Join other network>named my network + picked WPA/WPA2 and tada).

0 Ratings