cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 3

Home Hub 4r (unlocked) in the sale at PC World

Just noticed that PC World are selling the official unlocked BT HH4r for £29.99. Specifically interested in what the UNLOCKED part means. This must be officially unlocked from BT (forum police - you know who you are -  please take note - not talking here about hacking or user unlocking) as they are being sold retail, BT branded etc and marketed as ideal for other non-BT internet services.

Due to the issues of the BT DNS, wondering if this box is completely unlocked and can be fully configured with OpenDNS or GoogleDNS as a way of getting over some of the issues?

Does anyone have one and can confirm what is and isn't configurable? May take a punt and buy one to see as there is stock at my local PC World. Wonder how these get updates though.....?

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 3

Re: Home Hub 4r (unlocked) in the sale at PC World

correct the hub 4r can be used on any ISP providing that you have the isp's log in details i would have thought DNS settings would be configurable
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Home Hub 4r (unlocked) in the sale at PC World

Just picked one up.

It IS fully configurable which is great. Ideal if you have vanilla ADSL or Infinity with no BT TV. Pretty pointless if you want to use it with another ISP as there are better routers out there, by a mile.

It isn't MULTICAST enabled Smiley Mad or at least I haven't found a way to configure it to work with the IP Multicast channels which is pretty darned crazy considering my BT-supplied HH4 works perfectly.

Can't win.

0 Ratings