cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 3

Home Hub 5 (B) login page intercepted by AVG Online Shield

I have a very reliable Home Hub 5 (B) on a CAT5 connection to my home PC. My home page is the logon page of the hub just in case I ever forget the admin IP.

In the last 3-4 days my AVG has been intercepting a generic virus threat on a local IP address whenever I attempt to load the HH5 logon screen. There is an article on AVG website about this which suggests that an upgrade to AVG Online Shield: "detects, reports and closes SSL/TLS connections using any of these protocols, algorithms and setups: SSL 3.0 protocol and lower [or] RC4 algorithm"

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlName=Threat-of-using-vulnerable-or-unsupported-pr...

Is this something new from AVG that is suddenly trapping something old on HH5 namely SSL3.0 or RC4?

I've got around the nuisance by excluding the relevant IP from AVG. And advice please? Is the problem with very old protocols on the HH5 and if so is BT upgrading the firmware? Maybe time to invest in netgear kit?

--ppT.

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Home Hub 5 (B) login page intercepted by AVG Online Shield

AVG calling this a "virus" is a little misleading. Your connection to the Hub is secured using algorithms that the security community have deemed to have flaws or weaknesses. That's not to say they're completely insecure, only that they're not as secure as more modern protocols.

Think of it like a combination padlock with three dials vs. one with five dials. The three dial lock is OK, but there are obviously not as many possible combinations as with the five dial lock, so therefore not as secure.

As for firmware updates, I've seen people posting on the forum that their HH5 are being upgraded, but BT don't release details of what's incorporated into a firmware release, so it difficult to say.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 3

Re: Home Hub 5 (B) login page intercepted by AVG Online Shield

Realistically, it's using an obsolete protocol which isn't considered totally secure any more.  But the only people who can access that login page are those who are on your own home network, and the only people who could hack into the connection are also ones who are already inside your home network.  So, as security risks go, it's pretty low.

0 Ratings