cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daza1965
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Home Hub 5 Cable lenght help

Hi, I'ver just taken delivery of my HH5 replacing my HH3. I'm not wanting to disturb the cabling to much !!!. My existing white modem is installed (close to my telephone socket) but quite a distance from the existing HH3.

The cable supplied with the new HH5 is not long enough to reach the location I require the HH5 to be situated.

Can I purchase a longer cable (this needs to be at least 4 meters long) if so would anyone know what spec I would require and the name of the ends (eg RJ45's RJ11's). Also would the length affect broadband speeds.

Thanks in advance.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
stuartsharp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home Hub 5 Cable lenght help

You can either do away with the white modem and connect your HH5 directly to the phone socket using a long RJ11 cable

OR

keep everything as it is and simply replace the HH3 with HH5 using all the same cables. The one that comes from the white modem would need to plug into the red socket on the HH5.

If you go with the first option (long RJ11 lead and no white modem), remember that the new lead would be carrying your broadband line, so it would need to be kept away from electrical appliances and power cables as much as possible.

0 Ratings
Dumbwitness
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 4

My master socket is upstairs and the BT eng installed the Infinity faceplate on that. He also installed an extension downstairs, 10 metres in total to my HH5, all neatly clipped, top job.

0 Ratings
Rottie
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 4

@daza1965 wrote:

Hi, I'ver just taken delivery of my HH5 replacing my HH3. I'm not wanting to disturb the cabling to much !!!. My existing white modem is installed (close to my telephone socket) but quite a distance from the existing HH3.

The cable supplied with the new HH5 is not long enough to reach the location I require the HH5 to be situated.

Can I purchase a longer cable (this needs to be at least 4 meters long) if so would anyone know what spec I would require and the name of the ends (eg RJ45's RJ11's). Also would the length affect broadband speeds.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,

What I suggest you do is simply buy a new ethernet lead in the required length and connect one end to the LAN1 port on the white OpenReach modem and the other to the WAN port on the HH5.

There's a few listed on amazon, here. 🙂

Also, to answer your question, the length of the cable will not affect your speed. 🙂

I hope this info helps. 😄

0 Ratings