Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 29

Home Hub 5 Connected devices showing slow speed

Hi

Today my infinity connection via Home Hub 5 dropped from 13mbs to 3 mbs on all connected devices on wireless and ethernet connections. This was checked via broadband speed checker on my pc via ethernet, my android phone and tablets and finally, my wife's laptop via wireless.

I reset the hub back to factory setting but no joy. Phoned helpline who repeatedly told me that my line was showing 14mbs with no issues so was told to pull the plug on everything, re-boot etc but still no joy.

I was told that 1mbs is acceptable for infinity and the speed wasn't guaranteed....

Has anybody had this problem with the speed dropping and is there something silly going on or is the hub faulty.

The speed is now a constant 3mbs which obviously, I am not happy with, but at least I am connected.

Any advice gratefully accepted.

Regards, David

0 Ratings
28 REPLIES 28
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 29

Re: Home Hub 5 Connected devices showing slow speed

if you have a HH5 can you go to hub manager then trobleshooting then helpdesk and post 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  must be done with wired connection  btspeedtester

can you enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete number wholesale FTTC check

try quiet line test   dial 17070 option 2  should be quiet and best with corded phone

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 29

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.

Will try to post 2 pictures of the tests.

For the BT Wholesale test it says that the acceptable range of speeds is 2.12 to 3.02.

This is the speed I am now getting but I am signed up for fibre to cabinet infinity.....

Helpdesk.jpgSpeedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 29

You are on faster broadband which is basically infinity 1 but because your estimated speed is less than 15mb BT only sell faster broadband

need dslchecker results

how is quiet line test

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 29

Hi

Quiet line is just that - quiet.

Snapshot of dslchecker below.

We have had a constant 13mbs since we signed up for the faster infinity in June, we are now back to best copper speeds thats we used to get.

Call centre staff very hit and miss and seem to get very put out if you try to go off script.

Regards, David

available.jpg

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 29

you are on faster broadband which is for people with estimates of 15mb or less but your checker results show estimated speeds of 80/75mb!  something seriously wrong somewhere

was this self install?  if yes are you using the test socket with a new filter?  if not can you move to test socket?

if you move to test socket which will eliminate problems with faceplate and internal wiring can you then check that all extensions sockets are 'dead' - no dialtone

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 29

Hi

Thanks for taking time with this.

The hub was self install fitted to bt faceplate with no extensions.

I have taken the front connecting panel off of the faceplate, connected straight to the socket with 4 different filters, ran speed tests and still only get 3.1mbs each time. It is very consistent.

Could we have been switched to to slower speed in error either by human intervention or otherwise? The speeds are consistent with the old copper connection that we had before infinity, or is the line correct and we should be getting the 13mbs that the call centre tell me the line is showng? If so is it a hub problem. This has been reset to factory by the call centre and myself to no avail.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 29

Your up profile is set at 2mb which is consistent with faster broadband not adsl

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 29

Also Line 24 of stats shows VDSL (FTTC) Modulation

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 29

Once again thanks to all.

Now, not very tech savvy so can anyone put it simply as to what they think is the problem?

All I know is that the speed has dropped from 13 to 3 mbps. This has been confirmed by BT speed checker and other programs. I also use DU Meter which shows the same.

Nothing has changed my end other than the tests that I have been asked to try. Wi-fi or ethernet it makes no difference.

Is it my problem or BT's?

The service I signed up for was BT infinity upto 14mbps when they enabled a fibre cabinet 1 mile away. Up till now that has been what I have had.

TIA

0 Ratings