Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Home Hub 5 Slow wireless speeds ?

Go to solution

Just gone from HH3 to HH5,i have devices which are AC wireless standard,I'm getting a link speed of between 390 to 433 mbps but doing a speedtest and i'm only getting nothing more than 12mb/s on the HH3 i always got between 25 and 45 mb/s and that was on the Wireless N standard,Anyone had any wireless speed problems with the HH5 ?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home Hub 5 Slow wireless speeds ?

Go to solution

Are you sure your wireless card is connecting on 5GHz? I had to manually set mine to connect to 5GHz or else it'd try and connect on 2.4GHz.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution
I am having the same issue. Upgraded from HH3 to HH5. My iphone5 now only connects at about 8mbs compared to 20mbs on the HH3. One of the reasons I upgraded was the 5ghz compatibility and now my speed is slower than ever! The new hub is in exactly the same place as the old one and nothing else has changed. The HH5 has been installed since Friday if that makes any difference? Any advice would be gratefully received?

Cheers,
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

@esmewk wrote:

Are you sure your wireless card is connecting on 5GHz? I had to manually set mine to connect to 5GHz or else it'd try and connect on 2.4GHz.

Yes it's definately connecting at 5ghz i'm even forcing it with the device,i'm getting a link speed of 433 mbp/s so it's defo 5ghz i'm noticing strange bursts of speed when using the speedtest app ie downloads fast for a split second then stops and so on and so on,same with upload it's dropped from 18-19 mb/s to 9-10 mb/s and strange bursts of start stop,i've rebooted the hub a few times now,i'm still using the open reach modem as opposed to the inbuilt one of the HH5 for cabling reasons.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Problem solved! Stupid automatic smart wireless setting enabled by default is causing my wireless speeds to be all over the shop! set to fixed channel of 40 and hey presto full speeds down and up.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Has anyone ever got a definite answer to this ? I got a HH5 today, and see exactly the same problems still.
Even after trying all the ideas here, I'm still getting less that half the line speed shown.

Cheers,

Gordon

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

@GlassMouse wrote:

Has anyone ever got a definite answer to this ? I got a HH5 today, and see exactly the same problems still.
Even after trying all the ideas here, I'm still getting less that half the line speed shown.

Cheers,

Gordon

Have you turned off "Smart Set Up" on the homehub

See link

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

Highlighted
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you - changing that brought the download speed up by another 10Mb, totally weird that !!
I've now tried that with 2.4Ghz on it's own, 5Ghz on it's own, and both sync'd - getting 24Mbps/9Mbps now.

With HH3 this use to be 52Mbps/9Mbps, so if you have any more suggestions I'd welcome them 🙂

Thank you !

Gordon

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Ah ... no worries now - it's ramped up to the correct speed now ... a little bit of patience !!
Anyway thank you very much for the assist there, much appreciated.

G.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Jesus, what a load of rubbish, I turned off smart start on my new homehub 5 and all is well on my connected mobile devices! I was only getting 10mb now the full 50mb!! 

Thanks for the info, BT sort yourselves out!!!

0 Ratings