Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richardgilbert
Beginner
Message 1 of 39

Home Hub 5 VPN Issues Following Firmware Updates

Go to solution

I wonder if anyone help me. Recently my work VPN has stopped working, when I am off my home BT internet connection the Windows VPN works but when I am on my home internet it does not connect. I have also tried a different VPN by sonicwall and this also does not connect.

I have tried disabling the BT Access Control, the Router Firewall and VPN Port Clamping but to no evail.

I have found on the forums that there seems to be an issue with a recent firmware upgrade of the home hub 5 firmware to 4.7.5.1.83.8.204 (I have checked and my router does have this firmware and the date coicides with the problem with VPN originating)

I have tried contacting BT Helpdesk via phone, A Bt Forum Moderator who advised to Email the helpdesk, who they then advised that BT do not support VPN's, which  I can understand that they cannot support the actual VPN itself but as I have read on thse forums people have had success by contactingh BT representives who  have have downgraded or changed the firmware of the router to get there VPN to work again, could anyone please assist in doing this to my router.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks Again

Richard

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
NeilO
Message 2 of 39

Re: Home Hub 5 VPN Issues Following Firmware Updates

Go to solution

Hi Richard,

Thanks for posting and speaking with me this evening. I've sent off your details to the Hub team to get this sorted.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
IanCrispin
Beginner
Message 3 of 39

Go to solution
Hi Richard, I have just been upgraded to Infinity and HH5 and my VPN has stopped working, I understand that it's a port blocking problem on the newer firmware versions and that downgrading the firmware can solve the problem, is this a solution, if so, how do i go about doing it?
regards,
Ian
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 39

Go to solution

Unfortunately you can't downgrade the firmware. BT in their infinite wisdom decide what version of firmware you have on a Home Hub, the customer has no say in the matter!!

0 Ratings
IanCrispin
Beginner
Message 5 of 39

Go to solution
Sorry, I meant Neil!
0 Ratings
IanCrispin
Beginner
Message 6 of 39

Go to solution
So my only option is to buy another router?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 39

Go to solution

Yes, if you don't want BT forever tinkering with the firmware. I have always used third party routers.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 39

Go to solution

@IanCrispin wrote:
So my only option is to buy another router?

Have you tried a factory reset of the home hub to see if it helps?

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/~/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-home-hub-to-its-factory-...

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 9 of 39

Go to solution

Hi IanCrispin,

Sorry about that, can you send over your details including the Hub serial number on the 'contact the mods link' . You can find the link by clicking on my username.

Thanks

Neil

0 Ratings
IanCrispin
Beginner
Message 10 of 39

Go to solution

Hi, just to let you know that the kind man from BT contacted me today and told me that they had pushed the fix out to my HH5 and it all now works fine, what a great service, cheers, Ian.

0 Ratings