cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub 5 WiFi Speed Issues

Hi, my connection speed on wireless devices keeps slowing down to 1-9 mbps every few days. This does not happen to wired devices, which always get a full ~52 mbps even when wireless devices (5 GHz and 2.4 GHz) are slowing down. Resetting the Home Hub 5 fixes the problem temporarily. Restarting my devices does not, so it appears to be an issue with the hub. There appears to be no issue with my line, as my hub shows the following: 6. Data Rate: 9995 / 54997 7. Maximum Data Rate: 30167 / 98893 8. Noise Margin: 19.8 / 22.7 9. Line Attenuation: 11.3 / 11.7 10. Signal Attenuation: 0.0 / 0.0 This is a recent issue which has appeared in the last month. I have noticed that BT WiFi is now active on my hub, but was not previously (not sure exactly when it started, so the two may or may not be related). I have tried to opt out of BT WiFi as I have never used it, but on the opt-out page I found it tells me I do not have a BT WiFi account! I was never given an @bt email address. If anyone has any ideas as to how to go about fixing this, or how I may opt out of BT WiFi I would be very grateful. Thanks.
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub 5 WiFi Speed Issues

Nobody have/had a similar issue? Just about ready to switch provider at this point.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 6

If you have a problem with the HH5 you should consider buying a third party VDSL Modem/router. They start at about £30/£40. As well as performing better than the Homehubs it will have the advantage that it does not transmit the BTWifi signal.

If you don't want to do that, you will need to report a fault to BT. They, like all ISPs do not guarantee wireless connections because of all the variables that can affect speeds so you need to just report it as a faulty hub, not the wireless connection dropping out.

0 Ratings
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for the response, but I have previously complained to BT about issues and I just don't feel masochistic enough to go contact their "support" right now. I was hoping for a known workaround, but I guess it's unlikely. I am completely aware that ISPs do not guarantee wifi connection speeds; this is 100% a fault with the setup/router though. It had been working fine for months, and now all of a sudden there are serious issues with wifi connection speed. It is not a new network, all the networks I can see are the same; I am also on clear channels for both 2.4 and 5 GHz bands. I'm hoping I can find a way to disable BT wifi, and that fixes the problem.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Have you tried a factory reset of the Homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This can often sort out problems.

You should be able to Opt out of BTWifi using your BTID. 

Some people have found that to do this though the BTID has to be an email address.

Check your status first to see if your BTID is accepted. 

https://www.bt.com/wifi/secure/index.do?s_cid=con_FURL_btfon

0 Ratings
Millsworth
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Thanks for your reply. For some reason my BT id email address is not accepted. However, I have found another link to opt out of BT wifi by searching around the BT site; the (I guess older?) one that pops up on google and link that you have posted says my BT id does not have BT wifi. Hopefully opting out sorts the issue! I had previously tried a factory reset with no luck.
0 Ratings