Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 5 Wifi Connection Issues

Hi,

We've had the HH5 for ages with no issues but in the last month or so have started having problems with devices losing the wifi connection.

I'm finding that devices randomly lose their connection, even though other devices in the house are still happily connected. This happens most often with devices that are in the same room as the hub, so clearly the range of the wifi signal is not the problem.

Sometimes my iphone disconnects, even though my ipad and my husband's iphone are still connected.

Often my printer suddenly disconnects, even though phones and tablets are still connected. Same thing happens with internet radio. 

We don't have any very recently acquired devices, so the load on the hub and the type of devices connecting are all unchanged.

I can always restore all the connections by restarting the hub, but having to do so repeatedly is becoming annoying.

Can anyone please suggest what is causing this and how I can resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sue

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 5 Wifi Connection Issues

Try a factory reset of the hub rather than restarting, press the recessed button in the rear of the hub with a pin until the lights flash.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Try separating and renaming the SSIDs.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

This is a particular problem with Apple products.

If that fails, then you could try a factory reset.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Remember to turn Smart Setup off.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

and separate the SSIDs again.

0 Ratings
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 7

Thanks, I will give this a try later when no one is using the connection!

0 Ratings
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 7

... I was responding to the first suggestion but same applies to Keith's list of things to try. 

I will have a look at my settings and see if changing them as suggested helps, then will do a full reset if it doesn't.

Will report back in due course to let you know how it goes!

Thanks to all,

Sue

0 Ratings
cooljay
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Download an app to a mobile and scan the wifi signals look for no cros over if poss then fix those in the router set up.
Next remove from wifi x fon as well just a quick email and wait a day.
Rescan the channels and wifix and fon will be gone.
Next and very important on the 5 ghz channel drop the ac speed down to a/n and 217 mbs.
Then save and re connect laptops should be much better and faster.

Also under firewall disable UPnP as well.

Regards

C.J

0 Ratings
Sue036
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 7

Hi, 

Just a quick update. After logging in to my Hub I noticed that most of our devices were using the 5 ghz channel, which made me a bit reluctant to make that channel less available or to alter it's settings. Not sure why I would want to slow things down? I am also reluctant to turn off BT wifi / fon as I use that myself when I am travelling. Disabling UPnP was also mentioned but I have devices that use that. Also I note that, as ever, everyone assumes we have laptops but in fact we have two desktops, one of which is connected via ethernet to the hub. That might not be relevant, but it is different to most people's set up. 

Anyway, I decided to try a factory reset first off all and *fingers crossed* everything seems to be working fine now. I'll wait a little longer before declaring it 'solved', just in case ...

Thanks for all the advice.

Sue

0 Ratings