cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 & OpenReach Modem combo after reboot cycle

Hi all, as I posted in this thread, My new HH5 (paid the £69 upgrade fee to replace my old HH3 and started using it on Thursday) entered a constant reboot cycle (4 or 5 times between 7:30-ish and 1pm if my observations were correct) yesterday evening. I checked the length of connection in the Home Hub Manager this morning and there was no evidence of further rebooting after that.

Not wanting to lose any line speed because of what I've read about DLM, and following advice from another thread I decided to  reinstate my OpenReach Modem and use the HH5 as a router via the WAN port, 'If it's not broken...'

I guess my questions are (and apologies if they're stupid)- Was this the right thing to do? I've not had any problem with disconnects since doing this...

I've had Infinity 2 since January 2013 so I presume the 'your HH5 will do strange things over the next X days to test your max speed until your line settles down' doesn't apply to me?

Has anyone suffered these reboots and found a solution? a quick look on Google suggests not...

Many thanks 🙂

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 & OpenReach Modem combo after reboot cycle

No. Theres a HH5 type B coming
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 8

There are a few threads about constant reboots like you were having.Some posters reported that the reboots stopped after two or three days.

If the reboots have stopped you could just use the HH5 on its own but many forum members have done the same as you and reinstated the Openreach modem and only use the HH5 as a router.

Personally that is what I would do as well. This gives you the option of resetting the homehub if you need to without any possibility of it causing DLM to kick in.

Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the advice 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Probably a dumb question but how do you set the Home Hub 5 to router only?

I have a Home Hub 3 in my upstairs study with a connected fixed cat6 ethernet cable running downstairs to the Openreach modem, which is plugged into the BT master socket in the ground floor sitting room. If I get the Home Hub 5 it would be more convenient to keep the Home Hub where it is, as all the network cabling radiates from that location.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 8

If you don't plug the phone line into the grey DSL socket, it will be a router only. The red WAN connection is where the modem plugs in
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks a lot for your speedy reply

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

@Gazpablo wrote:

Probably a dumb question but how do you set the Home Hub 5 to router only?

I have a Home Hub 3 in my upstairs study with a connected fixed cat6 ethernet cable running downstairs to the Openreach modem, which is plugged into the BT master socket in the ground floor sitting room. If I get the Home Hub 5 it would be more convenient to keep the Home Hub where it is, as all the network cabling radiates from that location.

If you don't want to use the HH5 as a modem/router and retain your Openreach modem just plug it all in the same as you have with the HH3 using your Ethernet cables.

0 Ratings