cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
richy170
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 39

Home Hub 5 and Apple Airport Extreme/Time Capsule

I am getting my Home Hub updated to the latest Home Hub 5, from a 3 i think. It is currently connected to BT Infinity fibre from a wall plate. I then have the Home Hub 3 connected to an Apple Airport Extreme . I think that the Home Hub has then been disabled to allow the Apple Airport Extreme to provide the wifi. This was set up this way years ago following advice on this forum. It was set up this way due to the fact that the Apple product would produce a far better signal than the Home Hub 3. I have also added an Apple Time Capsule which is upstairs.

I now need help setting up the new Home Hub 5 to make best use of it and my Apple Airport Extreme and also a Time Capsule. My first question is that does the Apple Airport Extreme or Time Capsule need to be connected via a cable to the Home Hub 5. What i would like is to extend the Home Hub 5 signal and have the two Apple products extending the network having been placed in different rooms in the house. If it doesnt then how would i extend the network. 

If an Apple product does have to be connected via a cable to the Home Hub 5 do i need to disable anything on the Home Hub as i did last time. If so what, and what settings would i need to apply using the Apple Airport Utility.

I hope this all makes sense as i am not very techy. I have been holding off upgrading due to this issues and i hope i can resolve this quickly.

0 Ratings
38 REPLIES 38
pr1uk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 39

Re: Home Hub 5 and Apple Airport Extreme/Time Capsule

I have a Hub 5 and i can tell you if you have older Apple equipment you may well have problem i have a Macbook 2009 and even after trying all the help on the BT page i.e turning off 2.4 etc every now and again the Macbook will not connect. When it does not connect it will in time ask for the password again and whatever you put in even the right password it will not connect. Apple say it's a BT problem and i have to addmit my Hub 4 never had any issues and when it will not connect to the Hub 5 turn my Hotspot on and it connects so the issue is with Hub 5 and older Apple gear. Very dissatisfied with the 5 and was thinking of plugging my old Hub 4 back in no problems with that at all. BT as not made a good job of the 5 it as many issues with Apple and well as they say it worked before and works with all my other equipment my iPhone so their software as no known issues. 

Good luck

Peter

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 39

Why do you need a home hub at all? Just connect the Airport extreme to the Infinity modem directly, the hub is superfluous.

0 Ratings
richy170
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 39

Now i am confused, is the Infinity modem separate to the Home Hub? If so what do i need to do to connect the Extreme to it do it will work.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 39

If you have Infinity with a Hub3, you will have a seperate modem as the Hub 3 doesn't have a built in VDSL modem. Instead of connecting Modem > Hub > Airport Express just connect Modem > Airport Express . I.e replace the hub with an Ethernet cable.

0 Ratings
richy170
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 39

It's a few years ago since this was all set up. I think I must have it set up that I currently have an infinity modem wired by Ethernet to my Apple Extreme with no Home Hub involved. Just to clarify my modem is a white box about 6"x3". The Home Hub is usually a black item a few inches tall, is that correct? If this is the case did I need to buy a new Home Hub 5? Having already ordered it would it improve my wifi if I installed it?
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 39

@richy170 wrote:
It's a few years ago since this was all set up. I think I must have it set up that I currently have an infinity modem wired by Ethernet to my Apple Extreme with no Home Hub involved. Just to clarify my modem is a white box about 6"x3". Correct The Home Hub is usually a black item a few inches tall, is that correct? Correct If this is the case did I need to buy a new Home Hub 5? No Having already ordered it would it improve my wifi if I installed it? Probably not, depends what you are trying to achieve. A simple wireless extender connected to your AE would be simpler.

0 Ratings
richy170
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 39

If I don't need the Home Hub 5 is there any benefit in buying a new modem. Do modem quality vary as mine must be several years old now. I want to get the best wifi around the house as my wife now works from home upstairs.
0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 39

The modem has no effect whatsoever on your wifi. The wifi is provided exclusively from your AE. If you need to extend your wifi upstairs, something like this is probably suitable. http://www.shop.bt.com/products/bt-mini-wi-fi-home-hotspot-500-kit-9N14.html  It doesn't have to be BT, others makes are available.

0 Ratings
richy170
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 39

I have worked out what my current set up is now as in my first thread I explained it incorrectly. I have BT fibre infinity connected to a BT modem, this is connected to my Apple Extreme by an Ethernet cable. I have ordered a new Home Hub 5 thinking I was already using a Home Hub 3 and that the 5 would be much better. If I am not using a Home Hub at all is there any point in me connecting the new Home Hub 5? I can send it back as its within the return period. My current set up is ok but I wanted to improve it.

Does the quality of modems vary. Mine seems to work fine but it did come free many years ago. I am happy to spend the cash if there are better ones out there as my wife now occasionally works from home and needs good wifi connection.

i also have an Apple Time Capsule that is downstairs which I use to extend the wifi signal and also wire it via Ethernet to my Sky box to connect it to the Internet. I now want to move the Time Capsule upstairs next to my iMac compute to improve the wifi upstairs. Would I need another Extreme or Express to connect to my Sky box and which would provide the strongest signal?
0 Ratings