Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Markielew
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Home Hub 5 blocking access to devices

Go to solution

I have a cctv system which was set up to be viewed remotely as well as on my LAN.

The port forwarding settings were configured by the CCTV engineer and everything has been working fine for at least four years. Well almost - it is configured via a dyndns server, so every time the router goes off or has to be reset, the IP address changes and I either have to wait up to a week for the server to redirect to the new IP address or contact my engineer with the new IP address and he resets it all for me. But I can live with that.

The problem now is that for a couple of weeks I've not been able to access my CCTV on the DYNDNS server or on my LAN. All my settings appear correct on my computer, iphone and ipad, but I can't access them either from within the house (wifi) or remotely (4G). I can see the CCTV system IP address is recognised by the router and is configured correctly in the port forwarding page of the Home Hub control panel.

The strange thing is that my engineer can still access my cameras on his devices (Iphone, ipad and directly via his DYNDNS server). It is almost as if my own router is blocking my devices from accessing the CCTV. I've uninstalled the app I use to view my cameras, reinstalled it and ensured the settings are all correct.

It has been suggested that perhaps the firmware has becoome corrupted, but I don't want to mess with that unless I really have to as I will then have to work through port forwarding again.

Has anyone had this problem or does anyone have any ideas for fixing it?

Kind regards

Mark

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Home Hub 5 blocking access to devices

Go to solution

DynDNS seems to give issues with the later home hubs, it does not recognise the format that the home hubs use to do the update. This seems to be a recent issue, even the PC update app fails to validate.

No-IP seems to work just fine, and updates almost instantly.

To view your own external connection from within your LAN, via DynDNS or any othe DDNS, or directly from your public IP address, relies on the home hub supporting NAT-LOOPBACK, which I think is not supported on the HH5.

0 Ratings
Markielew
Beginner
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you fror the speedy response Keith.

The system used to work just fine and it is only in the past two weeks that the router appears to have blocked my devices. DYNDNS is working fone from external devices other than those I have used through my own router so I think there must be a problem within the router.

Regards

Mark

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

A factory reset may be the only option, as the config may be corrupted.

If its stopped recently, it may be worth checking this page.

http://btsupport.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44044/c/6433

0 Ratings
Markielew
Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks again Keith.

I checked and my IP is not shared.

I'll do a factory reset on the router and see what happens next.

Kind regards

Mark

0 Ratings
Markielew
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

Does anyone know if a device cionfigured for 'Port Forwarding' should be visible in the 'Devices' tab under settings? I can see my Smart TV, mobile phones etc, but the cctv is not showing up under devices. It does appear under port forwarding as a CCTV system and the ip address for it is correct (ending in 200). Any suggestions or advice please?

Regards

Mark

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I suspect the home hub has "forgotten" about the device. This seems to be a common issue with the home hubs.

The solution is to manually configure the CCTV to an IP address outside of the home hubs DHCP range.

Use the following.

Set the IP address to 192.168.1.50

Subnet mask to 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 192.168.1.254

Then used the "user defined" option in port forwarding, and manually enter 192.168.1.50

0 Ratings
pezzajamie
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi Markie,

One thing to consider is to make sure the CCTV network setting have BT DNS server settings and not googles as many CCTV installers use googles 8.8.8.8 . My CCTV DNS is 192.168.1.254 and is the one i was given to use for BT.

If you use googles DNS server settings the homehub will constantly block access to the internet to the CCTV and try to give it a warning message . I changed my CCTV DNS back to BT's and took the problem away. Its something with the new hubs that alerts you. However this would stop the installer accessing it too not just yourself.

Have you tried accessing them by typing your DYNDNS adress into the explorer adress bar on windows? Also what brand of CCTV is it?

Jamie

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@pezzajamie wrote:

Hi Markie,

If you use googles DNS server settings the homehub will constantly block access to the internet to the CCTV and try to give it a warning message . I changed my CCTV DNS back to BT's and took the problem away. Its something with the new hubs that alerts you. However this would stop the installer accessing it too not just yourself.

Jamie

Only if you have parental controls active, otherwise you can use whatever DNS servers you like.

0 Ratings
Markielew
Beginner
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thank you to everyone for your help.

It is often a really simple fix that does the job - I turned off the DVR in the loft, left it a minute and then back on again.

Everything is fine now. Don't know how long it will stay that way but thanks again to all of you for your kind advice.

Kind regards

Mark

0 Ratings