cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 completely useless and unstable since January 15 firmware upgrade

HH 5 no longer connects Samsung tv - it sees tv but generates IP address as the DNS server! Also the parental access control blocks all devices when set not just my sons iPod - major issues have occurred since the jan firmware upgrade . Router is completely unstable and drops the Internet connection often.

Bt support teams just say reboot router and I must have done this 10 times now . Will be reporting this to ofcom shortly as it not acceptable.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 completely useless and unstable since January 15 firmware upgrade

I would suggest that you stop rebooting your Homehub. This will cause you more problems as DLM (Dynamic Line Manement) will see it as an unstable line and lower your speeds.

If you have a look through the forum you will see that there was a problem with the HH5 latest firmware update. If you leave your HH5 connected 24/7 it will upload a fix for that.

See this link regarding problems with Samsung TVs.

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Samsung-Smart-TV-Internet-connection-problems-wi...

Parental controls work at a network level so they will block all devices that use your Homehub. Have a read through the help pages.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/46768/~/bt-parental-controls---'how-to...'-guide

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 completely useless and unstable since January 15 firmware upgrade

Thanks gg30340 agree re Samsung TV however it's the HH5 access control not the parental control that is the issue. It blocks all devices when I ask it to turn one iPod off at a set time

I have not seen any firmware upgrade come through either....is this still ongoing?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I assumed you were meaning the parental controls because you mentioned "parental" in your question.

I have never used access controls so I may be wrong but I believe that the access control does not switch a device off the Homehub if it is already connected when the "switch off time" comes around. If the device is already connected it stays connected.

If the device is not already connected when the "switch off time" comes around it is unable to connect.

Not an ideal situation as it would appear that you will have to ensure that your child's device is disconnected from the Homehub first in order to prevent it from reconnecting.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

I have just re-read this thread again and it would appear that my eyes are painted on as I have totally misread it.

While I believe access controls acts as I have outlined above it should only block individual devices and not every device.

I would try a factory reset of the homehub by pressing a pin into the recess button on the rear for about 20 seconds. This should clear any configuration settings that may have been corrupted during the update on 15th Jan and also any that may have occurred in any subsequent update fix. . Once this has been done set up the access controls again.  

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Thanks have tried this but to no avail. after reboot I blocked my iPhone only. I then tested access via my iPad and Mac . Both were blocked access to the Internet by the HH 5 even though it was just set up to block the iPhone. This feature used to work correctly up to the January firmware update. I am convinced this is the issue.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

The moderators of the forum have been informed of your problem. Once they have read this they may be able to help. They are a BT UK based team and if they can help they will reply via this thread asking you to contact them via a link. Once you have replied to them by the link, it can at present take up to five working days for them to re-contact you.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Moderator-Retired
Message 8 of 8

Hi apjonesy, 

I am sorry to hear about your problems with the hub. I can take a look into this for you. 

Please send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile and I will be in touch.

Cheers,

OlgaC 

0 Ratings