cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DuirMayne
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Home Hub 5 disconnecting and flickering in multicolours rapidly.

I've had ADSL Unlimited Broadband for years from BT and it drops out every 3-4 months and needs an engineer to come out and fix it, otherwise it's ok if very slow on the upload speed (sometimes I can't even make a Skype call because it's so slow). 4 days ago my Home Hub 5 started to disconnect late at night, around 10-11pm, stay off for about an hour or so then reconnect and be okay until the following day. While it's off the connection light flickers very rapidly in all colours, almost too fast to identify. If I switch it off and reboot then it settles into a steady orange until it reconnects. I've made three calls to report the fault, been hung up on twice and promised a call back that never happened on the third. The phone line itself is fine for calls with no noise or distortion. Can anybody help?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Home Hub 5 disconnecting and flickering in multicolours rapidly.

have you tried a factory reset by pressing the recessed button on back and holding until lights flash?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DuirMayne
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Yes. A factory reset was done on the suggestion of the first BT operative I talked to. All it did was go back to steady orange and rconnect after about half an hour. The connection went off again the following day.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

have you tried connecting to test socket with a filter (even if you currently have a filtered master socket) to see if that helps by eliminating your internal wiring and the master faceplate

can you post stats from the hh5  troubleshooting then helpdesk

is there anything in your home that switches on or off at about 10/11pm

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
DuirMayne
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

I haven't tried that yet but will tonight if it goes out again. It's currently connected and working fine. There's nothing that I can think of that switces on or off at that time and certainly nothing new that we've added recently.

Here's the hub info you asked for:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ51941155
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 (Type A) Last updated 11/07/17
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 10:49:52
6. Data rate:455 / 12503
7. Maximum data rate:456 / 14699
8. Noise margin:6.0 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:46.6 / 37.2
10. Signal attenuation:9.1 / 31.0
11. Data sent/received:247.4 MB / 316.0 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-GRMW
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-GRMW
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:54:64:d9:0e:e7:4c
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0
BT Home Hub 5 (Type A) | Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.236.1.2 | Last updated 11/07/17
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

your down speed at 12.5mb is ok but the problem is your very low up speed and of course all the drops in connection

0 Ratings
DuirMayne
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Absolutely! I'm quite happy with my download speed but uploading is awful. Video streams to others on Skype are pixelated and jumpy while I can see them fine. I have asked in the past if anything can be done and they shrug and tell me that's the way it is. The connection drop outs are becoming a real problem as I have family in the USA that, because of the time zone differences, I can only talk to late at night. With the connection dropping out I can't do that.

0 Ratings
DuirMayne
Beginner
Message 8 of 8

The broadband disconnected again tonight and displayed the same flickering multicoloured lights. Using the test socket with a filter made no difference. The connection re-established itself later on it's own. Nothing I can see in the house switching on and off coincides with the loss of connection.

0 Ratings