cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liam548
Contributor
Message 1 of 15

Home Hub 5 engineer visit still required?

Since my migration to Sky broadband since O2 stopped providing it I have lost speed and service.

I am considering moving to Bt Infinity.  Their £100 sainsburys offer is tempting.

Can someone confirm that the home hub 5 does not require the additional box like Infinity used to and as such is simply plug and play like a standard ADSL router. No engineer is needed and no extra installing at all at my end?

Thanks

Liam

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
Liam548
Contributor
Message 2 of 15

Re: Home Hub 5 engineer visit still required?

Also I work it out to be £294 per month that includes £20 for first 3 months and a £100 sainsburys card.

I am already in contract with BT for calls and pay up front for their line rental saver and with this get free eve and wkd calls.

Can the order still go ahead and will there be two seperate contacts/direct debits running though my bank?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 15

The Homehub5 does not need a seperate Openreach modem as it is now integrated into the homehub however at the moment you still need/get an engineer visit to install Infinity.

0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 4 of 15

well what does the engineer do exactly when he arrives? does the home hub 5 come through the post?

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 15

HH5 comes through the post. The engineer will check that you have a filtered master socket and if need be change it or move it if required. He will then just plug it in like you could do yourself and check it is working.

The HH5 is designed for self install but as yet BT have not started doing that.

See this link about the install

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/36967

Liam548
Contributor
Message 6 of 15

So I can self fit a filtered master socket and thats it?

0 Ratings
Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 15

You can do what I did and install it all yourself and just ask the engineer to do the cab work and test it. Leave it all plugged in and they will get the results they need.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 15

The official answer is no because the master socket is BT property and you are not allowed to tamper with it. Even if you do change it you will still get an engineer visit. They won't connect it up otherwise.

0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 9 of 15

when you say cab work you mean the work at the exchange?

0 Ratings
Liam548
Contributor
Message 10 of 15

What is the official ADSL plate they fit nowadays? Anyone got a link is it the iplate?

0 Ratings