Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Golfboy1971
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Home Hub 5 firewall rules and TP Link routers

Go to solution

I am not yet a BT customer but am looking to sign up for Infinity and I understand I will get a Home Hub 5 unit ... however I would prefer to use my TP-Link AC1750 which has proven to be excellent with it's WIFI signal. My TP-Link is a cable version, not the ADSL version.

I understand the HomeHub 5 now contains the VDSL modem built in (rather than separate) so I suspect I'll need to hang my TP-Link off one of the HomeHub 5 Gbe ports and disable Wireless on the Home Hub. Has anyone tried this? Do you know if the firewall rules can be set to put my TP Link in a "DMZ" , i.e. no firewall protection, because I'd prefer to do that as my TP Link is a router/firewall combined and it will make it easier for getting my VPN ports working etc.

Alternatively do you know if the cable you would normally plug into the HomeHub5 "Broadband WAN" plug is just straightforward Gbe, i.e so I can put it straight into my TP Link and not use the HomeHub 5 at all?

Thanks

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Home Hub 5 firewall rules and TP Link routers

Go to solution

The home hub 5 cannot be used as a standalone modem, you would have to obtain an Openreach VDSL modem.

Golfboy1971
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Keith,

Thanks very much for your reply. So I can't use the HomeHub 5 as a cable modem, but do you know what kind of broadband/WAN connection BT OpenReach provide that goes into the HomeHub? Is that straight-forward Gbe that I could probably plug into my TP Link, as it's designed to take a Gbe connection? (Currently it is connected into one of the LAN ports of my ADSL router/modem/firewall device as I'm still on ADSL but was planning my upgrade to Infinity)

Alternatively, I could connect my TP Link into one of the Home Hub 5 LAN ports, so long as I can designate that port as a DMZ port (i.e. no firewall protection) so that my TP Link will be the only one controlling the firewall rules. Is it possible to make one port, or one device a DMZ device on the Home Hub 5?

Thanks

0 Ratings
karanved
Contributor
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
0 Ratings
karanved
Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Hi,

You can also ask BT Sales guy while taking a BT Infinity connection, that if they can send a HH4 with Openreach modem instead of sending a HH 5, also you can opt in for installation engineer instead of self install (no engineer visit) type of install.

In this case openreach engineer will come to your house to install broadband and you can ask if he can install a openreach modem in your house, if he installs a openreach modem, you can connect yout TP link router to openreach modem, configure your TP Link router with BT's configuration and it'll work.

Hope this helps..!!!

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
the majority of infinity installs are now self installs so only a HH5 is sent out BT cannot provide a modem as only Openreach have them
0 Ratings
Golfboy1971
Beginner
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks Karanved and John46. The option of going for HH4 and modem seems like a possible solution. 

I did some investigation about my idea of putting my TP-Link Router into one of the HH5 LAN ports and identifying it as a DMZ device, so that it has direct access to the internet itself and I've noticed the HH5 does indeed have this option, although there are issues with static/DHCP addresses, therefore do you know if the HH5 has the ability to reserve DHCP addresses for specific devices, i.e. so I can reserve a TCP/IP address in DHCP for my TP-Link Router and then mark that address as the DMZ device?

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

It would be far simpler to just buy an Openreach modem from the well known auction site and forget about the HH.

Golfboy1971
Beginner
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Ok, thanks Licquorice, from some other posts I've read it does sound like this is the best way forward for me.

Thanks

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

Best to get an Huawei one as they are G.Inp enabled. Unfortunately this makes them more expensive than the ECI version.