cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sjf1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Home Hub 5 line drop / rebooting

I have severe rebooting issues with the HH5. It was installed on 1st Jan this year (HH5 type B). Operated perfectly until mid-May. Since then I have had random dropping of line and reboots. Initially a few times per week but lately 3-4 times per day. The physical setup has not changed since installation. The devices connected have not changed. I contacted BT 2 weeks ago and was sent a replacement router (HH5 type A). This is now installed and is rebooting just as much if not more. I am also getting reduced speeds now. I have had web chats with BT during which they have carried out line checks and found nothing wrong. They asked me to replace the cable from the master socket to the router. I did - it made no difference.

Prior to all this trouble the connection speed (download) was around 30MB/sec maybe a bit more. I was certainly getting 28-29 in a speed test. The expected speed for my line is 24-30MB/sec so I was more than happy. Now the connection is down to around 26-27 average, with one connection only 23 the other day. Upload is also dropping. I am guessing this may be an automatic reduction due to the instability. So I am not unhappy with the speed it is the dropping and rebooting that is the issue.

BT claim to be investigating further but it seems that if no fault on your line can be found there's not much more they can do and the onus is on you to troubleshoot.

My view is that either there is an issue with my line, or the master socket installed by BT, or for some reason the HH5 does not now like my setup. The first two should be addresssed by BT, not me. If it's something in my home upsetting the HH5 then it is not fit for purpose (and why did it work fine for 4.5 months).

As I am with BT until the end of the year I need to resolve this issue. From reading of others with similar issues it does appear the purchase of an alternative router may be my only option. I await further advice from BT but not with great hope.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 32

Re: Home Hub 5 line drop / rebooting

If you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk post stats 1-12

try quiet line test. Dial 17070 option 2. Should be quiet and best with corded phone

is there anything here that could be causing interference. 

interference causes

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
picktech
Contributor
Message 3 of 32

hi sjf1, i have been having the same problem, but after help with one of the forum engineers/ monitors, we have got somewhere with it, i am on my forth hub5, i have found out that when you have the setting like this mine seems to be stable, you need to change the wireless smart setup off, u need to turn off smart wireless, remane your 5GHz, ie just add a 5 on the end, and then in your DHCP table asign the ip address to use the ip address for this divice you need yes ticked

hope this helps someone,

regards picktech 

0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 4 of 32

Thanks for your help m8ty I will give these ago myself cause my HH5 seems to reboot every night. I have done all apart from the turn off smart wirless bit, how do you do that in your HH5 settings please?

u need to turn off smart wireless

Edit:> sorry scrap that I have a channel done for it, I have 11-48 setup? used inSSider app. Also have you only got to click on yes on your 5ghz IP or on every device in dhcp table? 

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
picktech
Contributor
Message 5 of 32

i have done it on every divice, i would suggest that you start from scratch, ie reset router to default then you can be sure of the right setting, and turn off all devices then you are starting as new if that makes sence, really hope this helps as i was going mad with it lol,

regards picktech

sjf1
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 32

Stats:

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+076272+NQ51607257
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 24/07/15
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 12:38:06
6. Data rate:5021 / 26794
7. Maximum data rate:6102 / 29655
8. Noise margin:6.1 / 7.0
9. Line attenuation:31.3 / 27.5
10. Signal attenuation:31.4 / 25.2
11. Data sent/received:229.2 MB / 7.2 GB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
14. 2.4 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-S8ZX
15. 2.4 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 b/g/n (up to 144 Mb/s))
16. 2.4 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
17. 2.4 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
18. 5 GHz Wireless network/SSID:BTHub5-S8ZX
19. 5 GHz Wireless connections:Enabled (802.11 a/n/ac (up to 1300 Mb/s))
20. 5 GHz Wireless security:WPA2
21. 5 GHz Wireless channel:Automatic (Smart Wireless)
22. Firewall:Default
23. MAC Address:00:37:b7:36:06:4a
24. Modulation:G.993.2 Annex B
25. Software variant:AA
26. Boot loader:1.0.0

I'll try the quiet line test but as regards interference being the cause that means the router is not fit for purpose.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 32

if you have something in your home that is causing rein interference then that is your problem nothing to do with a hub problem.

enter your phone number and post results  remember to delete your number  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Beachyiow
Contributor
Message 8 of 32

I have been having a simular issue. 

The internet went down and connected again five times last night. 

I am sat about 6ft away from the Hub and Im connected via ethernet. I dont know about anything interfering with the signal but I will certainly check next time it happens and make a note. 

I had a simular problem with my previous ISP so I have troubleshooted this a lot. I have come to the conclution that it is the telephone cables out on the telegraph poles that have probably been there since this estate was built 35-40 years ago. I dont suppose there is much chance of those being replaced. 

I connect Wired & wireless. I connect directly to a Master Socket.(MS) I have no internal wires to test. I use no external filters as not needed with MK3 MS. I do not have a phone to test noise on the line. My home is 200m from my cabinet.
0 Ratings
MBR123
Expert
Message 9 of 32

@picktech. Thanks m8 I hope maybe these settings just might work for me cause its driving me mad! Every night it reboots during the night, last night it didn't and I changed the settings to what you told me, fingers crossed!!!. I have set all dhcp devices to yes now, I will see what happens. I'm not going to reset the HH5 cause I have already done that recently so I don't think that will change anything tbh. I do think that the Type A's are at fault the worst but it seems getting a Type B sent out is just pure luck! it all depends on what box they throw out at you from the warehouse, you carn't say I want a Type B and they will send you one 😞

Please click on white star to the left and say thanks if I have helped you at all!. 🙂 Thank you. Some handy links Copy & Paste:-
http://bthomehub.home/
http://netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/index.html
http://diagnostics.bt.com/login/?workflow=Speed
0 Ratings
picktech
Contributor
Message 10 of 32

hi MBR123,

i am no expert these are some thing i have come across when we have been sorting my broblem out, and it seams to work for me, just hope it helps anyone having the same faults,

regards picktech,

0 Ratings