cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Home Hub 5 nightmare- what can I do ?

I moved to Infinity a month or so ago and am using a Home Hub 5 without separate modem (connected via brand new face plate following unsuccessful self-install).

I am having problems with wired and wireless connections.

Wired

My hub disconnects itself at least once and often several times a day and, whilst the wired connection is usually pretty solid around 30Mbps, every now and then it slows to a snail's pace, requiring a restart of the hub. Yesterday it was showing a solid orange light (with no symbols beneath) but still achieving a wired connection around 30Mbps.

Wireless

Wifi is very poor, in terms of speed, reliability and range. Several times a day I get speeds under 1Mbps pretty close to the hub. My Canon printer loses its connection to the hub (which it sits next to) at least once a day and has to be restarted and occasionally fully reconnected. Several other pieces of kit in the house are similar (eg iPad, phones etc). I have tried several things to improve matters:-

- created different SSIDs on 2.4 & 5Ghz

- disabled the automatic channel selector and fixed channels in line with a check of local wifi activity

- purchased a BT range extender- this is very effective some of the time, but seems to "lose" the hub regularly, requiring everything to be reset in order to get things back up & running (it is showing optimal distance on its LED indicators).

Unfortunately, BT telephone support is hopeless, but I think most readers know this already.

Ideally, I would like to speak to a sane and helpful person to ascertain whether my hub is faulty. I am quite happy to try another one, but getting to that point is a bit of an ordeal.

Or is the Home Hub 5 just a terrible piece of kit which I need to replace at my own expense in order to get anywhere near experiencing the service that I am paying good money for ?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Home Hub 5 nightmare- what can I do ?

Read a few more of the posts in here before you decide to ditch the HH5. Disconnections are a common issue at the moment and BT aren't letting on what's up yet. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

It sounds like you may have a faulty hub. Unfortunately there is no way to test this without another hub or an Openreach modem and router.

There are numerous threads about the HH5 having problems and in particular about random frequent disconnections. You could report a fault to BT and they may eventually send a replacement HH5 out to you.

Personally, given the number of posts about the problems with the HH5 I would consider buying a third party VDSL modem/router or an Openreach modem, there are plenty on a well known auction site, and a third party router.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 7

They actually should start supplying the Openreach modem again

with new installations until the HH5 issues are resolved.

I guess thought they won`t do this even thought the

amount of complaints about HH5.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 5 of 7

I am having exactly the same problems. My HUB 5 keeps losing connections aswell probably about 20 times a day. I am also fed  up with it. Why should we pay for modem they should give it to us for free. My super fast infinity  speed today was 8mps and last week was around 4 mbps. I feel like throwing the whole thing out the window. i've had constant issued with it since September. I feel your pain.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 7

The HH5 is a poor piece of kit that is not fit for its purpose. As was the HH4 before it. It has all sorts of faults, from faulty connectivity to faulty wifi to incompatibility with apple devices to lack of support for common protocols like DLNA

The best advice is to replace it with a decent piece of equipment, from a reliable company that has to compete in the marketplace or die. I went for TP-Link but there are plenty of other reliable manufacturers.

BT are a disgrace on quality of equipment and quality of customer support, as well as unwillingness to hear from or talk to their customers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 7

Very interesting read, I have recently moved and had BT installed well had to do it myself as engineers turned up a 7.00 am on the day the people we purchased our house from moved out!!! I previously had a Virgin super hub connectivity across 3 floors of my previous property excellent Wi-Fi even in the loft extension that had a huge steel beam in it. Unfortunately the area I have now moved to does not have Virgin so decided to go for BT complete package top broad band package.

Wi-Fi is rubbish, I move 10 feet away from the hub and signal drops to one bar or completely disappears, technical help desk have advised everything is OK must be the configuration of your property, maybe the walls are thicker than a normal house!!!! I live in a bungalow so not sure they know what they are talking about, have had conflicting information about connections!! All I know is the package is not what is advertised on the TV or on their web site maybe we could all talk to the trading standards as I do not think we are getting what we are paying for. Sky operate in my area and Plus Net maybe when my contract comes to an end I will have to talk with my feet as BT does not want to help, very disappointing. BT please find out who make the Virgin super hubs and buy some decent equipment for your customers.

0 Ratings