Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 1 of 3

Home Hub 5GHz WiFi going faulty?

Go to solution

Just bought an iPad Air 2, partly because it has 802.11ac on the 5GHz band and should work with my homehub. Was great with connection at full speed for first couple of days, but tonight I have noticed that the speed is getting limited to 30Mbps max on the Ookla Speedtest everywhere, even straight in front of the router (my Infinity speed is 58Mbps and I was getting full unlimited speed over 802.11ac until tonight).

Plus I have noticed that the HomeHub is now making a significant electronic buzz/hiss when doing a speedtest on it from the iPad. You can 'hear the data' being streamed Smiley Surprised

In comparison, my iPhone on the 2.5GHz band using 802.11n speed tests at >40Mbps still from the same speedtest server, with no buzzing/hissing noise from the homehub. My PC also has no restriction (connected via Homeplugs).

That would indicate to me that the 5GHz WiFi Access Point has a problem - do you agree? Anybody else experienced such a problem?

We had power blips last night - could that have damaged the Homehub? (I have got it on a surge protector however).

0 Ratings
2 REPLIES 2
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 3

Re: Home Hub 5GHz WiFi going faulty?

Go to solution

Another thing.....

HomeHub 5GHz wifi set to 802.11ac - iPad Air 2 reports on Advanced Settings / Home Network Hub Web Page as connected at 130Mbps

HomeHub 5GHz wifi set to 802.11n - iPad Air 2 reports on Advanced Settings / Home Network Hub Web Page as connected at 300Mbps

Smiley Surprised

Am I seeing an incompatibility between the iPad Air 2 & the Homehub, or a 5GHz Access Point that has gone faulty when trying to use 802.11ac?

0 Ratings
Colin_London
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 3

Re: Home Hub 5GHz WiFi going faulty?

Go to solution

OK solved - rebooted my Homehub and it has restored my throughput to full speed.

So note to BT - you might want to look at the ruggedness of the Homehub 5 in 802.11ac mode - we shouldn't be having to reboot it to keep the wifi speed up!

Still showing as 'connected at 130Mbps' and still have the buzzing on speedtest though!

0 Ratings