cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 26

Home Hub 6 DNS Issue

After running fine for some time, I now have a problem with my HH6.

Every 10 to 12 days I lose my internet connection, but my wifi network is still up.

I get 'DNS server is not responding' which is the HH6 as all my connected devices are fine.

They only way to restore my connection to the internet is to power off then reboot the router.

Any thoughts guys?

Regards

Christine

0 Ratings
25 REPLIES 25
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 26

Re: Home Hub 6 DNS Issue

I've seen exactly the same thing soon after the Hub was updated with the SG4B100021F4 firmware. I'd not seen issues when using the SG4B100021EC firmware.

I posted in Smart Hub DNS Server Failure and there were a few suggestions of things to check / try, but it's not happened since last weekend so I've not been able to see if any of them help.

Regards

0 Ratings
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 26

Mine is on SG4B100021EC and been having this problem for several weeks now

0 Ratings
Tony-gbr
Contributor
Message 4 of 26

Every 1 to 3 days my smart hub messespecially up. The wifi names are still broadcasting but no Internet access thus the dns error. I have to switch it off on the wall and back on to fix this issue. Gets annoying everyday really.
0 Ratings
billat29
Contributor
Message 5 of 26

I have seen this problem over a number of firmware releases on and off for quite a while. For me, it seems to happen after the device has  been unused for a while. It may have entered a power saving state. This differs from some of the other problems here in that other devices work and you can find other devices on your network from the problem device by entering their local IP address.

I have found the following workarounds:

1) Set a static IP on the device. Do it on the device and not the hub. Choose an address outside the hub's dhcp range (below .64)

2) Turn WPS off on the hub and when the device fails, try to reconnect by using its WPS button. Leave it for a second or two, then reconnect to the wi-fi. That often resets the connection and it all springs into life.

0 Ratings
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 26

I would hardly say ours is unused.....

1 desktop, 3 laptops, 5 NAS servers, SkyQ, BT TV, Apple TV, Amazon TV, Amplifier, Blu Ray, Plasma TV all on ethernet and then 2 iPhones, 1 iPad, 1 Kindle Fire on wi fi

🙂

0 Ratings
billat29
Contributor
Message 7 of 26

If all those devices are having routing problems, then, clearly, you don't have the same problem as I have had.

With that much pain, I would consider

a) moving some of the functions off the HH. Some NAS devices will offer dhcp etc.

b) Dump the HH6 and fork out for something that is more robust. BT might fix the HH6 soon. They might not.

0 Ratings
Christine
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 26

My network stays intact on Ethernet and wifi, but I lose my internet connection from the hub 6 to the world
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 26

@Christine wrote:
My network stays intact on Ethernet and wifi, but I lose my internet connection from the hub 6 to the world

Try just getting a different public IP address and routing, you can do this without rebooting.

From this screen http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/broadband/internet

Click Disconnect, wait about 20 seconds, then click Connect, your public IP should change. See if it restores your connectivity.

smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 10 of 26

As I mentioned previously, this sounds suspiciously like the problem I see when the Hub stays connected, but no longer answers DNS queries.

When it happens, open the Windows command on a PC and run ping 8.8.8.8. If that works then run nslookup www.bbc.co.uk. I suspect you might see 'timeout' messages, and if so run nslookup www.bbc.co.uk 8.8.8.8. The ping will prove whether your Internet connection is still working, and the nslookup will show whether the hub is no longer responding to DNS.

I've seen this twice in a week now, albeit on the later 21F4 firmware.

Regards

0 Ratings