Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 13

Home Hub 6 Wi-Fi no better than Home Hub 5

Go to solution

I recently installed new equipment, Sky Q Mini Box, in a remote area of the house and have had trouble keeping this connected to Wi-Fi which causes the TV reception to cut out. I upgraded to the Home Hub 6 as it promised better Wi-Fi coverage. However this has not improved the performance of the Sky Q Mini Box which still irritatingly cuts out randomly.

I know this is a crude test but I wandered round my home watching the signal strength on my iPad using first the Home Hub 5 and then the Home Hub 6. There was no improvement using the 6 so I feel that I have wasted my money buying something from BT which does not work as advertised.

Meanwhile i still need to sort out the Sky Q Mini Box so I have looked at BT's Wi-Fi extenders but do not want to throw good money after bad.

Any suggestions anyone?

(PS: I have read the guidance on the best place to set up your Home Hub and followed this.)

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 13

Re: Home Hub 6 Wi-Fi no better than Home Hub 5

Go to solution

Buy a third party router with external wireless aerials, not internal ones like the home hubs. That may help, unless your remote signal is very weak.

Alternatively, connect thing up using Ethernet cables, or powerline adapters.

WiFi extenders (repeaters) are a waste of money. Additional wireless hotspots may help, as they do generate new wireless signals, just don`t clone them to the home hub.,

https://www.shop.bt.com/mini-sites/connected-home/home-hotspots

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

did you split the 2.4/5ghz networks ?  did you  select channels manually rather than smart wireless.  have you tried changing the wireless mode in the hh6 from 1 to either 2 or 3

i use a hh6 and wifi in my home is as good as tplink Vr2600 with 4 external aerials

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

Thanks for the suggestions. Although the changing of settings was a bit techy for me, I just took the Home Hub 6 out of the box and plugged it in. I have found in the past that fiddling with settings on these things sends me down a road I wish I had never started.

Meanwhile I have spent 40 minutes on the phone to Sky. It appears the Sky Q Mini Box both connects to my broadband and also connects to the main Sky Q Box directly via some Sky Wi-Fi link. When it drops out the message on screen unhelpfully tells you that connectivity has been lost but not which connectivity so I was unaware of the second link. A Sky engineer is coming out to fit a booster between the two boxes. (Of course they helpfully told me that if I had Sky broadband then I would not have had these problems.)

So it would appear I have paid unnecessarily for a new Home Hub and nothing to show for it. Such is life!

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

if you used hh6 straight out box then you need to turn off smart setup  otherwise you will have problems conencting some devices

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Alan_in_Hemel
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

I have turned off Smart Set up but I never actually had a problem connecting any device. My problem is retaining that connection in parts of the house most distant from the hub, the HH6 does not appear to have improved on that compared to the HH5.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

try a wifi analyser app on your phone and check signal strength over your home

0 Ratings
dgw1
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

Don't believe all the hype about "if you had Sky broadband"  😉  If you check Sky's forums out, you will see what I mean  😉  The Sky Q boxes have built-in powerline facility (scroll down to settings, but don't press ok, instead press 0 0 1, this will take you to a hidden menu). Try enabling it, on the Q box and mini, having both boxes plugged into a wall socket (not a extension lead/adapter), and see if this makes any difference. If you already have powerline adapters, probably best leave this function turned off, as they can cause interference to each other.

0 Ratings
Grigs
Beginner
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Alan, 

I know this reply is 11 months on, but i had similar issue for over a year and technical support were beaten and unable to assist me. My wifi signal was dropping dozens of time each day and immediately reconnecting. 

Eventually I realise what the problem was myself.

The router is dual band. The lower frequency is slower but has a longer range. It is effectively 2 wifi routers in one, except both have identical wifi names and passwords. So devices will constantly switch between the 2 connections, each time that the signal strength fluctuates. 

Going into the modem SetUp, and renaming the 5Ghz wifi to a different name, simply by adding a "2" on the end of its name, totally solved the problem. I no longer experience any signal drop outs as it no longer switches between 2.4 and 5Ghz. Its a pity technical support were not aware of this issue as i could have resolved it a year earlier.

Geo.

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

As recommended in message 3 of this thread and virtually every thread regarding wifi problems. Smiley Happy

0 Ratings