cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
greenderek
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Home Hub 6 - Wireless issues causing slow response on wired connections [nexus 5x]

Hi, I have a network that is wired for PC (gigabit) and only use wireless for mobile phones. My new Hub6 arrived and was a very easy set up, My wired and wireless speed is 16 down/0.9 up, 30ms ping - not in fibre area.

However, as soon as I connect my mobile (Nexus5x) ping goes up to 2000-3000ms and speed on WIRED (and wireless too after 30 seconds or so) connections drops to 1.5/0.5. IMMEDIATLY i turn off wifi, or disconnect my mobile it returns to 16m/0.9m 30ms.  After much experimentation i can repeat this every time. Returning to my HH4 (and with a borrowed HH5) everything is fine. 

This appears to be an issue with HH6 firmware 22JUn16 SG4B100021F4. BT in india have done a full line test, check etc all is fine. This happens in exactly same fashion if i split 2ghz/5ghz wireless. 

Anyone else having similar issues (and yes I have ensured only wired connection is a single PC, with single phone on wireless, so it is not contention of any type).

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
smf22
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home Hub 6 - Wireless issues causing slow response on wired connections [nexus 5x]

Can you answer the following:

- What IP / address are you pinging from the wired device when you see such high response times?

- If you ping 192.168.1.254 i.e., the router, do you still have high response times?

- Is there another wired device connected to the hub that you could ping to see what response times you get?
- If there's no wired device, can you ping the IP address assigned to the Wireless device and see what response times you get?
- On the Home Hub, if you go to the 'My Network' page do you see the Wifi connected device, and if so what are the downstream and upstream traffic volumes for the device?

To be honest it's difficult to see how connecting a device on Wifi would affect a wired devices to that extent, unless that device is somehow occupying the broadband bandwidth.

Regards

0 Ratings
greenderek
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Home Hub 6 - Wireless issues causing slow response on wired connections [nexus 5x]

I have reverted back to my HH4 as HH6 was unusable, but will try one evening this week and report back with details requested.

From memory

What IP / address are you pinging from the wired device when you see such high response times? 192.168.1.64 probably as 1st and only device, will report back

- If you ping 192.168.1.254 i.e., the router, do you still have high response times? BT config screen takes a while to load sp probably, but never tested ping, will report back

- Is there another wired device connected to the hub that you could ping to see what response times you get? Tried that ALL of them..it is any wired devices. 

- If there's no wired device, can you ping the IP address assigned to the Wireless device and see what response times you get? will report back

- On the Home Hub, if you go to the 'My Network' page do you see the Wifi connected device, and if so what are the downstream and upstream traffic volumes for the device? will report back but probably almost nil as reset router each time i tested it. My phone is not doing up/down loads I checked that it is as soon as I do the first activity.

Report to follow in a day or two when I get time, since yesterday replacement HH6 arrived May firmware - ending 21EC - EXACTLY SAME ISSUE  Smiley Sad Reverted to HH4 for now

0 Ratings
greenderek
Beginner
Message 4 of 4

UPDATE:

After a bit of trial and error here are my latest results lead me to believe Nexus 5x does *NOT* work with reliability Smart Hub, worse still it prevents wired connections communicating with internet until disconnected.

I've tried 2 Nexus 5x phones, both give with same result). No matter if sync 2&5 or split 2 & 5ghz. Connect to either/both band and the Smart Hub runs MUCH slower with higher ping than when no wifi device connected. Interesting response of the local (internal) HH config pages seems fine, it just will not connect out to the Internet at any usable speed. As soon as you disconnect wifi on the Nexus 5x everything returns to normal. 

Also, when I connect my Toshiba Laptop I get a similar but much less pronounced slow down (response jumps from 20ms to about 200ms, on phone over 1,000ms). Connecting a Nexus 4 phone gives same result as Laptop, with a slight slow down. This leads my to believe there is an issue with HH6 or firmware when using certain WIFI devices.

All tests were carried out using SpeedTest by OOKLA and sitting about 5 feet from HH6, and repeated multiple times. (after booting all other devices off wifi before anyone asks).

Do many of the Smart Hub issues reported on this forum may have same root cause....?

0 Ratings