So my smarthub developed the green light of death and wouldn't start up any more. Luckily I still had my HH5, so I reconnected this and was connected to Infinity once again.
I then called 150 to arrange a replacement hub, and was initially impressed to be connected without any wait to a UK based helpdesk in Swansea.
However they were not able to order me a replacment hub as the process flows they have do not allow this. I spent 45 mins on the phone while the agent peformed various line checks with both the HH5 and the Smart Hub connected to the phone line. He agreed it was obvious the Smarthub had failed, however the only option the system gave him was for an Openreach engineer to be sent out.
I explained that this was pointless as there obviously wasn't a line issue (as the HH5 was working fine on the same line). He let me speak to his manager who said this was they only way I could progress, and confirmed that even though there wasn't a line fault I would not be charged the £129.99 fee, and the openreach engineer would replace the hub or order a new one from BT for me if he did not one with him (I didn't think Openreach carried them anyway?)
I asked if it was not possible to override the system and send me a replacement direct, as even if what he says is true, it is a real waste sending out an Openreach engineer, whose time could be better spent fixing a real problem. The manager explained that one of the reasons support was being insourced was because India was inconsistent in how they followed process, and the new UK team HAS to follow the process flows with no deviation.
If this is the case then surely there should be a process flow which allows for a hub to be replaced if is obvious there is a problem with it. In my case it was easy to prove as I have a working HH5, but even if I didn't, surely the steady green light even after a factory reset and the fact that I couldn't even connect to the hub menu via an ethernet cable would be enough to prove a hardware failure.
Appreciate it if one of the mods can escalate to the relevant team and get the process flow updated. I've declined them sending an engineer for now and will wait until (hopefully!) I can get a replacement hub ordered.
Did you manage to get this sorted? If not, I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please can you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile?
Funny isn't it - India would probably have offered you the new router straight away even if, like me, it was the engineer you needed.