cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jodo
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Home Hub Ethernet Connections

Have had the BT home hub 1 for years with 3 PCs connected via Ethernet & USB connections (wireless is useless as house is 170 yrs old with 15 inch thick walls that have defeated all wireless attempts). Now that I have vision there are not enough connections. An alternate provider is offering a similar speed unlimited service with a 4 Ethernet port hub and although it is far cheaper I've always had reasonable service from BT and don't really want to change (Mug?). Is there any way that a further connection can be made from the current hub or does this spell the end to an account I've had for many years?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 14

Re: Home Hub Ethernet Connections

use a 5 port switch put your vision on eternet port 1 on the hub and connect the switch to port 2 you can then have 4 comps connected to the switch , and it does work as my own and my sons comp havnt got wireless , netgear do a 5 port switch its 1 we used

0 Ratings
Highlighted
homeinmk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 14

The BT vision will be supplied with two mains ethernet connections, pick up a couple more of them from e-bay and go ethernet over mains. This will save alll the ports bar 1 on the hub and get rid of all the wires. You can then access the hub from any room using the mains ethernet plug

Oh and by the way, you are posting in the wrong forum

0 Ratings
IanBee
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

Hi Jodo, I've been using an ethernet swith connected to the hub for quite a while, it works perfectly and opens up other networking possibilities ie print server, storage etc.

switches are pretty cheap nowadays as well.

Ian

0 Ratings
colinrog
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 14

Something of an aside but.. I live in a similar house and found that wi-fi connections greatly improved when I moved the hub upstairs. It is then radiating down through the relatively thin floors rather than through the thick walls.

Colin
0 Ratings
glynwhite
Contributor
Message 6 of 14

Although this is off piste,  It has opened me up to the usage of Ethernet through the mains, which I think is a quicker fix than hard wiring the house this summer.

0 Ratings
OLD_MAN
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

Have tried the ethernet thru the mains and it is too slow!   I have Cat6 ethernet from all four ports on the BT Hub Mk2 and each one terminates at NetGear Gigaswitches providing 4 further ethernet ports on each.  Yes that is 16 ports! They are all in use and I find that shifting large Jpegs and large video files around are no problem.  As well as the PC's, Printers, NAS drives etc., there is the BT Vision (Freeview), Humax PVR (Freesat), Blu-ray and Freesat TV to contend with.  NetGear Gigaswitches (GS605) are very cheap from Amazon at the moment and do not require any setup whatsoever....  having struggled to get Ethernet over the mains and wireless thru floor and walls, I know which 100% dependable route I prefer Smiley Happy

OLD MAN ( Three Score + Ten and still going)

Stormbringer
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

if you use the mains network adapters they must be on the same ring main (fuse position) and wont work through surge protectors
GeneralDisquiet
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Can I correct Stormbringer a little. The adapters have to be on a single ring main, or a spur off a ring main - but basically, in most homes it just means you have to be on the customer side of a single electricity meter. The fuse position is not relevant. My own are located on the main ring on one fuse position and a spur on a second fuse that links to a secondary trip box, remote from the house. Stormbringer is correct in that they won't work through surge protectors and most don't like working from an extension cable of any sort

"To forbid us anything is to make us have a mind for it."
-- Michel de Montaigne, Essays, 1559

jodo
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Tried a netgear 5-port ethernet switch on the 2nd port but PCs sometimes could not connect or the connection would freeze, couldn't seem to resolve the problems so reverted back to only the two connections.

0 Ratings