cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamz946
Contributor
Message 1 of 16

Home Hub Regularly Disconnects / Fails to Reconnect

Hi, we have two seperate phone lines coming into the house with two different bill-payers etc etc etc, basically my dad pays for the main phone line and I (his son) pay for my own seperate one (internet hogger).

The main line disconnects on an almost daily basis, and cannot reconnect to the internet, sometimes for hours at a time. The second line appears fine all the time, and rarely ever disconnects.

Under the home hub page the ADSL is connected but under "internet" it just says connecting and this where it will stay for hours at a time before finally connecting and providing internet access.

When we got BB on this line we got a Home Hub 2, and I do have a HH3 which I have connected but it does the exact same thing as described above. I am fairly tech savvy so if there's anything i can try then feel free to suggest, unless it's BT's end where the problem lies.

here are some adsl stats, i noticed the FEC errors on the DL are high and increases with every page refresh:

Connection Information

Line state	Connected
Connection time	0 days, 00:12:57
Downstream	7,008 Kbps
Upstream	448 Kbps

ADSL Settings

VPI/VCI	0/38
Type	PPPoA
Modulation	G.992.1 Annex A
Latency type	Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up)	5.6 dB / 26.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up)	38.7 dB / 21.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up)	10.7 dBm / 1.8 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote)	0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote)	0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote)	0 / 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up)	906 / 0
CRC Errors (Down/Up)	1 / 0
HEC Errors (Down/Up)	0 / 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote)	1 / 0

0 Ratings
15 REPLIES 15
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 16

Re: Home Hub Regularly Disconnects / Fails to Reconnect

are you connected to the master or test socket?  is quiet line test quiet - dial 17070 option 2

are you connected wired or wireless to hub?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 16

Hi Welcome to the forums

Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html

once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 4 of 16

Yeah it's connected to the master socket, however it is a very old style master socket. 

It looks like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LJ_Front.jpg with one these things above it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:GPO-plan4-telephone-socket-and-plug.jpg

Yeah the quiet line comes out quiet and everything connects via ethernet.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 16

does your junction box look like the photo or is yours similar but without the socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 6 of 16

It has the same GPO logo on it, there is one cable which looks to come out of the back of it and into the socket and there  is possibly some kind of connection on the left side. here's a picture of it that I just took: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8438443/002.JPG

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 16

old junction box by look of amount of paint on it and I think the left is incoming BT cable from outside and the other is going to the socket which is your master - not a new NTE5 with test socket

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 8 of 16

Ah i see, i believe when the second line was installed a few months ago there was a junction box fitted in the loft, to seperate out the two lines from the cable coming into the house.

Would having effectively two junction boxes on this line be causing issues? Do you think it would be wise to request a new line and master socket? If it's possible to simply ask for a new one to be fitted.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 16

I don't think the new junction box would cause the problem and your other line is working ok.  The stats which you have posted look ok apart from your problem of dropping connection.  normally though if continualy dropping connection you get a higher noise margin but yours is about the normal 6

0 Ratings
adamz946
Contributor
Message 10 of 16

Yeah the other line almost never disconnects, hence why i thought it could be the connection from the roof junction box to the socket causing some kind of issue.
0 Ratings