Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Home Hub Security

Go to solution

Hi All

Can I ask your advice? I have just set up a Home Hub 3 MFFT system (wireless with Windows Vista) and am unsure about it's security. I am aware it uses WPA (encryption?) which I believe is the latest and best but my previous router (Speedtouch 580) used to indicate that it was secure but the Home Hub system does not when interrogated on 'Connect to a network'. Can you reassure me that all is secure as it can be?

Secondly, and this may be relevant to the above, I already have McAfee Total Protection installed (almost 12 months still to run on my present subscription) - Do I have to also install BT NetProtect Plus?

Many thanks in anticipation of your help Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 4

Re: Home Hub Security

Go to solution

WPA2 encryption is the best one to use.

If you open up the Home Hub web page, then Settings, Advanced Settings, Wireless, Configuration it will tell you what you are currently using and the encryption key.  If the key is the default one (i.e. the one printed on the back of the router then change it, for extra security).

I personally change the SSID as well.  If there are any security "issues" with BT HomeHubs, it is better to have an SSID of "MonkeyNutsRouter" than "BTHub3-12345" as hackers will not be able to identify the router so easily...

When your McAfee Total Protection licence runs out do not renew it.  Download the BT NetProtect Plus and remove McAfee Total Protection.  Install the BT NetProtect Plus.  If you have Option 3 BB it will be free all the time you remain with BT.  You can install BT NetProtect Plus whenever you want on up to seven PCs.

Chris.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Re: Home Hub Security

Go to solution
Thanks Christopher - Advice noted and implemented!
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4
Moved:

Home Hub Security

Go to solution
0 Ratings