cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dm77
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Home Hub firmware update has caused wireless problems

A few days ago I noticed my internet connection was incredibly slow.  I plugged in a LAN cable and checked the home hub manager.  It seems my homehub had a firmware update on 18/1/11 and the version number is now 8.1.H.J (Type A), though I thought that was what I had already.  The ADSL is fine, when connected via the LAN everything is normal.  I've connected to a neighbour's unsecure netwrok and that worked fine (not something I normally do, just to test).  I've used Inssider and confirmed that channel 3 is free.  Channels 1, 6 and 12 are all very busy which is why I use 3.  The only possible thing it coiould be is the firmware update, but 8.1.H.J (Type A)is the latest version.  In the advanced wireless page it states, irrespective of 'Wireless interface type' selected, that the 'Actual data transfer speed' is 1Mbps.  I've tried restarts and resets on the home hub but they only solve the problem temporarily, it always returns to 1Mbps.  The laptop is 1m from the home hub so it's not a range/obstruction problem.

In summary:

• ADSL via LAN works fine
  • Laptop connects to other networks fine
  • Wireless channel is clear
  • The home hub manager states wireless is transmitting at 1mbps.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Home Hub firmware update has caused wireless problems

there was someone else on the forum who also noted that their hub 'a' received a firmware update about the same time but BT have never confirmed it

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Paigntonian
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 6

That was me Mr Jolly! 😉

------Marc------
Tags (4)
0 Ratings
notoriousdbp
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 6

Are you using 802.11b or 802.11 b/g - does that hub have 802.11n (please excuse my ignorance on that one)?

---Remember to mark as 'solved' and give stars when you like a post---
0 Ratings
dm77
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

I've tried b/g and b/g/n, doesn't make a difference.
0 Ratings
dm77
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Is it possible to force the home hub to look for firmware updates? I read a post where somebody had two 'last update' dates and they found out one was for a wireless update, maybe I need that update.

0 Ratings