cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fumi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 51

Home Hub keeps resetting and my speed has dropped by half.

Hi everyone,

I'm really sorry to bother you but I would really appreaciate your advice regarding my BT Broadband.

I've been on a residential broadband connection for over a year that normally allows for download speeds of around 14Mbps.

On May 1st, my BT Home Hub 4 reset itself during the early hours and I immediately recieved an automated email from BT telling me my connection was not as fast as it could be.

Over the next two days, my IP Profile has slowly climbed suggesting the line is in 'training' but the Home Hub resets itself frequently five or six times a day.

When I check on BT using the ADSL Checker and my telephone number, it indicates that my maximum theoretical speed is around 7MB. What I cannot understand is that another line in our home can connect at up to 17MBps -- which is roughly the speed I used to get on my line.

Should I wait and see if things correct after ten days or should I ask to have an engineer visit?

I definitely had a much higher speed until recently and I have speed check logs from that time.

I would really appreciate any advice you may have.

Regards

0 Ratings
50 REPLIES 50
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 51

Re: Home Hub keeps resetting and my speed has dropped by half.

Hi Welcome to the community forums
Here is a basic guide to getting help from the community members done by CL Keith Please read through the link posted http://forumhelp.dyndns.info/speed/first_steps.html
once you have posted the information asked for then the community members can help you more

if using a hub 4 locate these lines located in the hub logs
Lines should look like this
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.460000) DSL noise margin: 7.00 dB upstream, 6.10 dB downstream
19:11:29, 07 Nov. (2290101.390000) DSL line rate: 448 Kbps upstream, 288 Kbps downstream

Thank You

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators

0 Ratings
Fumi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 51

Hi there,

18:26:23, 03 May. (162901.740000) DSL noise margin: 6.00 dB upstream, 3.10 dB downstream
18:26:22, 03 May. (162900.830000) DSL line rate: 768 Kbps upstream, 9277 Kbps downstream

Thanks
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 51

Are you connected to the test socket ?

Have you tried the quiet line test as explained in the link
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 51

can you enter your phone number and post results - remember to delete phone number before posting https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

as john46 asked - are you using the test socket

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fumi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 51

I have begun this morning. When I very carefully removed the faceplate, I noticed that there is nothing connected to the back of the plate. There are four tiny connectors on the back of the plate but no wires going in. I assume there should be. I'm running it from the test socket now.
0 Ratings
Fumi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 51

BT BROADBAND AVAILABILITY CHECKER
Telephone Number on Exchange MINEHEAD is served by Cabinet 12
Featured Products

Downstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)

Downstream Range(Mbps)

Availability Date

WBC ADSL 2+ Up to 6.5 -- 5.5 to 7.5 Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex M Up to 6.5 Up to 1 5.5 to 7.5 Available
ADSL Max Up to 3.5 -- 2.5 to 4.5 Available
WBC Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Fixed Rate 2 -- -- Available
Other Offerings
Copper Multicast -- -- -- Available
For all ADSL and WBC Fibre to the Cabinet (FTTC) services, the stable line rate will be determined during the first 10 days of service usage.

Throughput/download speeds will be less than line rates and can be affected by a number of factors within and external to BT's network, Communication Providers' networks and within customer premises.

The Stop Sale date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2012; the Formal Retirement date for Datastream is from 30-Jun-2014. The Stop Sale date for IPstream is from 31-Oct-2013; the Formal Retirement date for IPstream is from 30-Jun-2014.

If the End User wishes to migrate from their current Broadband supplier they will need to contact them in the first instance to obtain a MAC (Migrations Authorisation) Code, and then contact their new Broadband supplier to arrange for the service to be migrated.

Note: Please note that postcode and address check results are indicative only. Most accurate results can be obtained from a telephone number check.
Thank you for your interest.
0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 51

from your stats you have a 9mb connection which well exceeds the estimate for your line.  with your noise margin already down to 3db I cannot see where you are going to be able to increase your conenction speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Fumi
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 51

My connection was around 14MBps for over six months. It's now halved. I ran a line test and there is intermittent clicking on the line.

Edit: Since I connected to master socket about 30 mins ago, my IP Profile has jumped up to 10.38MBps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hw4zpz4fo30aog/Screenshot%202014-05-04%2010.42.36.png

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 51

you obviously have an internal wiring problem  did you use master socket if so try test socket and that may help test socket.jpg

can you post the 2 lines of stats if you change to test socket

0 Ratings