Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 11 of 19

Re: Home Hub replacement

Go to solution

I was using the username from the homehub router but had also tried the email address just in case but both still didn't work and both were typed in lower case.  I'll will try again when I get home but at least I know that I am using the correct mode and wan port.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 12 of 19

Go to solution

I finally got it working.  It was an issue with the password once I entered a space it connected.  Thank you to everyone who helped me with this.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Go to solution

Hi sjtp

Mine works fine with the settings below -

router3.jpg

Honest it does.

I also found that when I connected up the R6300, the modem did not connect until I powered it off.

I'm not making this up.

Also, it was recommended in the R6300 setup.

Susi xx

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 14 of 19

Go to solution

SusiBiker: Most odd, I can't see why our setups are so different; aplogies for my incorrect correction.  m_mike has got his working now so it doesn't matter too much.  I might experiment with a different login tomorrow just as a matter of interest.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 15 of 19

Go to solution

Dear sjtp,

Thank you so much for being so gracious. Very much appreciated.

When my lodger goes to bed tonight, I'll try the btbroadband Username and see how that works out.

I'd do it on my own Infinity account, but thanks to OpenReach and BT Retail screwing up, I don't have one yet.

Have a look at this for laughs: My Infinity Order Keeps Getting Cancelled! And Much MUCH MORE!!

I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks loads,

Susi xx

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 16 of 19

Go to solution

Using HomeHub3 to connect to Infinity via standard modem.

Just experimented and found "x@btinternet.com" and "x@btbroadband.com" worked as usernames, no password in either case.   I've reverted to default 'bthomehub@btbroadband.com' just in case, but the others seems fine.

Using other domains ("x@fred.com") the username was rejected very quickly by the HomeHub.  So quick it must have been a local rejection rather than a login failure.  Maybe the HomeHub is locked to use BT domains in the login name?

I'm still confused about what the R6300 must be doing to require any modem action to permit a disconnect/reconnect (with different username).  It breaks by hard-earned (lots of help from drsox) mental model of what is going on.  But if it does, it does.

(I had already posted on your other thread: good luck with getting your Infinity sorted. )

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks.

I've changed my lodger's login to the btroadband one as it is less specific.

I also did it *without*  power-cycling the modem. Seemed to work fine this time. I stand corrected, again. Smiley Happy

Perhaps I did something dumb when I originally set it all up. Seriously, it wouldn't be the first time.

Regards,

Susi

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Go to solution

Thanks for asking this question - it gave me enough courage to buy the RT-AC66U and ditch the Home Hub 3.

BT support stated the preferred setup is youremailname@btbroadband.com, with a password of 'bt', but other configurations also work.

The IMPORTANT change is that instead of dropping packets and losing that "Infinity" bandwidth, performance is now much steadier.

The Home Hub 3 in particular lost mobile phones and wifi users regularly, even after I switched the channel to a permanent good one.  

Overall I would say I get an extra 10-20 metres of wifi signal in every direction, and throughput is probably 300% or higher than the Home Hub, plus support for 5GHz, 802.11ac, and a guest network setting so that visitors can get free access to the Internet without messing with my NAS drive or lighting system.

It worked so well, I am thinking about adding another RT-AC66U at the front of the house, so we can get WIFI at the beach hut 🙂

Happy Networking all!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 19

Go to solution

Note: At the moment the RT-AC66U doesn't appear to support the newest BT Vision box.

I did the set DNS to 8.8.8.8 as suggested in other forums, and played around with the multicast on and off, qos on and off, but no joy.

If you find a fix anywhere, please let me know thanks.  I have temporarily shut down the BT Home Hub 3 wifi and plugging the Vision box and the RT-AC66U into the Home Hub 3, and everything else is connected via the RT

0 Ratings